Wednesday, July 6, 2016


I have felt, every step of the way, that I am getting away with something devious when it comes to And I Darken.

First, when my agent, the always supportive and incredible Michelle Wolfson, said, “Yes, absolutely write a gender-swapped Vlad the Impaler.” Even though it didn’t make the most sense career-wise. It was where my heart was, and she has always had my back.

Second, when Wendy Loggia wanted it. I had questioned whether it was too out there, too obscure, too off-putting with its unlikeable-in-the-extreme narrator. But Wendy immediately saw what it was–and what it could be, under her extraordinary guidance–and offered it a home.

[Flowers–and cover–both gorgeous pieces of joy courtesy of Wendy.]

Third, when Ruth Knowles and Random House UK jumped in with an astonishing level of support and enthusiasm. I still can’t believe I found not one but two editors–and two teams of publicists, marketers, designers, and other assorted geniuses–who so fully embraced Lada and Radu and this series.

[Stunning card and even more stunning bracelet both full of meaning from Ruth and the UK team. They probably didn’t MEAN to make me cry, but they certainly did.]

I honestly can’t believe that I hit the jackpot both here and in the UK. (And Australia, too! I want to hug that entire continent.) As an author, you write the best books you can and hope they find their audience. But you can’t do either of those without an incredible team behind the scenes. And I lucked into the greatest team possible.

[Seriously. Just, seriously.]

So, with And I Darken a week old in the US and Australia, and our gorgeous(ly fierce) Lada debuting in the UK tomorrow, thank you.

Thank you to everyone who helped usher this dream book of mine into the world.

And thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who reads it. I wouldn't have a career without you, and I'm so grateful for your brainspace and your imaginations and your eyeballs. ("Kiersten White Loves My Eyeballs" should be your bumper sticker. Creepy and cute, just like we are.)

I am the luckiest author ever, and my heart is full.




Feisty Harriet said...

Dances around ceremonial fire, chanting "Kiersten loves my eyeballs! Kiersten loves my eyeballs!"


Laurence King said...

Congrats, Kiersten!! So well deserved :-)

Pamela said...

I was in a store and had to go by the book section as I always do. I saw your book knowing nothing of it or you, and bought it. The title intrigued me. I work full time and am a single mother... Yet managed to read your book in a span of 3 nights. Basically I skipped sleeping. And the first 2 nights only stopping whe I relaized it was ready 1 am and I was never getting up for work in the morning. Tonight stopping only because the book was finished. While it may be geared to young adults... I loved it. As I hope their story is not over, I will be looking to read some of your other work.
Thank you for a great story!

Jessie Crawford said...

Love love love the book! I practically devoured it. Now I'm going to be anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Jessie Crawford said...

The book was amazing! I can't wait for the next installment!

Shaeeta said...

Hi Keirsten White!!
I find it wildly amazing that I can comment on a blog posted by the author of my new favorite book! Honestly it is so weird to me to think about how you might actually read this? I just wanted to let you know that And I Darken made me feel so much that I can't put it into words!! I fell in love with the characters and the story telling and the sheer amount of research and care you put into this work! Thank you so much for writing something that resonates so deeply with almost every fraction of my being! I am overjoyed that there may be more books to come and in the meantime I'm sure I'll reread this one time and time again.

Thank you again!!