Tuesday, January 5, 2016

New Book!



Some of you may know that I started out on my writing career wanting to be a middle grade writer. That love of middle grade storytelling has stayed with me lo these many YA books. Cut to a few months ago, when I was joking around on twitter about making the Disney princesses into serial killers and fairy tales into (even more) macabre horror stories.

That was when Erin Black at Scholastic, who is an utter delight, emailed me. “I think there’s something there,” she said. We went back and forth for a while, tossing around ideas, when I realized I finally had it. THE middle grade I was destined to write, combining my love of fairy tales, scary stories, and pee jokes.

It’s funny. It’s silly-scary. It’s sly. It’s a bit like if Captain Underpants and A Tale Dark and Grimm had a weird little book baby. And it is so. much. fun. to write. I love my YA books, but I can’t exactly say to my kids, “Hey, come tell me if I’m describing this impaling with enough visceral horror.” I can, however, say, “Hey, come listen to this so I can see if you laugh.”

I’m so excited to be working with Erin (we’ll be Black and White and read all over!) and Scholastic to bring you Scarytales next year!

7 comments:

Emma Lilly said...

I'm so glad a book came out of your princess serial killer idea! Loved the concept. I'm glad the potential is becoming something. I am going to recommend it to all my nieces and nephews!

Feisty Harriet said...

Eeeeep!!! I love this SO SO MUCH!

xox

Lily Cate said...

A. Congratulations!!
B. This looks like something my kid and myself will love!
C. Our book announcements both went out today in the same edition of PW! I was doubly surprised :D

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Congrats big time. I was scared for a long time of writing MG until I started one. Now I am still scared and have a second idea. Help me. I mean I am so happy for you.

Amanda Johnson said...

This sounds SO awesome! You always have such incredible stories, so I can't wait to see what you've come up with this time. :)

Anita Saxena said...

Congratulations!

Roy Hayward said...

What are you doing blogging right now? Get to work on this book!