Thursday, April 3, 2014

Long Overdue Updatery

Hello, friends!

What a crazy couple of months.

My book came out! I went on tour!
I love these ladies--Sophie Jordan, Tahereh Mafi, and Veronica Rossi--and their books! But most of all I love all of you who managed to make it out to one of our stops. It is ALWAYS a joy to meet you and talk books and squee together.

I also hit up some museums in NYC, including this one with an Ancient Egyptian temple in it. This is my ANCIENT EGYPTIAN STUFF face.

Wadjet eyes? WHY YES. I LOVE YOU. I took an obscene number of photos in museums, and someday I'll get around to posting some of them. Someday. Ha ha. Yes. Someday.

In the meantime, because book release and travel and tour and being away from my kids wasn't enough, we went ahead and found our dream tree. So we bought it, along with the house that came on the property. And we moved. Moving! SO MUCH FUN.

 Then my baby brother got married. He must have forgotten he is still five years old in my head.

Then my baby got an ear infection and we discovered his allergy to penicillin. Exciting! He also discovered grass. ADORABLE.

Here he is in the house that came on the property with our tree. We're mostly settled in. We've hit the point where we are living comfortably, and yet the garage is somehow still entirely filled with boxes. WHAT IS IN THEM? I suspect they breed while we aren't looking, and if we open them, it'll just be box after box filled with tiny gestating boxes. Also maybe the beginning of a horror movie?

And here is some of the sky that came along with the tree and the house. It's good sky. We're very pleased with how it worked out.

True story: We have discovered that, while the house on the property does not have an ocean view, the tree we bought does! You just have to climb way, way higher than I am comfortable with. Still, an ocean view tree. We knew that tree was a winner!

As if all of that wasn't exciting enough, I have another book out this month!

Here I am with IN THE SHADOWS, my book with phenomenal artist Jim Di Bartolo. (To quickly correct some accidental misinformation I've seen: it's YA. Jim is not the illustrator, he's co-storyteller and should be credited wherever the book is listed, because it's not my book, it's OUR book. You'll understand when you read it--super, SUPER not just my book. And I am so excited for you to read it!!)

It comes out on April 29th, which is holy cow so soon. I was looking through pictures for this post and realized that it has not even been a year since I had a baby. This will be my third release post-Baby Otter's entrance into the world. Plus buying a house and moving. Plus trying to work on what I'll do next since I have no more books under contract.

HI GUYS I'M TIRED.

But IN THE SHADOWS is something special, and I can't wait for it to go out into the world. Jim and I worked really hard to craft it, and I hope you fall in love with it!

Along with the book release, I will Be Many Places. TXLA! WonderCon! Portland! Please see my "appearances" tab for up-to-date information on where I'll be and when I'll be there and how we can hang out and talk books!

And now I go, to decide whether to a) shower, b) check on the progress of all the little boxes that can't be weaned from their mother boxes yet, or c) work on the next book.

Or d) climb that tree to peek at the ocean.

6 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

I love the ancient Egypt exhibit at the MoMA! So glad you spent some time there!!

Wish I was in a place I could attend one of your signings.

Also, I have tree envy.

xox

Sara HerbalParenting said...

What a busy and exciting year for you!

I truly love your books! You are an inspiration to me. I'm a big fan.

http://herbalparenting.blogspot.com/

Len Lambert said...

Hi Kiersten! Congratulations on the release of your new book! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos, too. You deserve a break and a rest after your book tour! :)

Megs said...

You guys moved too?!? I sounds wonderful - congrats on everything happening. Ha ha, looks like we'll have to exchange addresses again...and actually visit and catch-up sometime...

Good luck! :)

kimberlybuggie said...

You have been so busy!! Glad you're well and looking forward to reading your new book!

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

Isn't it fun to discover a penicillin allergy? My little girl has one too. The rash for three months was my favorite part.

Yay for new books! I can't wait to read another one, since I've read pretty much everything else you've written.