Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Year That Was, The Year That Is

So. 2013.


In 2012, I wrote four novels. In 2013, I wrote zero. In 2012, Endlessly came out, completing the Paranormalcy trilogy. In 2013, Mind Games and The Chaos of Stars came out. In 2012, I wrote like a fiend. In 2013, I edited like a...rather more exhausted and definitely less fiendish thing.

In 2012, I finally came to terms with not having any more kids and embraced my life as a mother of two. In 2013, we welcomed another baby.

In 2012, I traveled to the UK and visited dear friends across the country. In early 2013, I had a book release, house guests, and a son who developed a sudden phobia of eating. (Yes. Eating.) I got stress hives so bad I screamed in the car on the way to the doctor. I had gestational diabetes and had to apply all my (exceptionally well-honed) powers of obsession to controlling my diet. I toured while pregnant and increasingly large. I had major surgery to extract 6 lbs 3 oz of baby perfection from my abdomen. I didn't sleep.

And didn't sleep.

And didn't sleep.

In 2013 I realized I could control very little about my life and, rather than risk stress hives ever again, I decided to be okay with that. I pulled my family close and snuggled in.

So 2014 is about being okay with things being out of my control. It's about accepting change with as much grace as I can muster.

It's also about choosing to change the things I can control, like my hair.


Well. I mean, hair is already dead cells anyway. But I am in control of just how much of those dead cells I have to manage. (Right now the other foot + of hair is sitting in a bag on my counter. It makes me feel vaguely serial killer-ish.)

2014 is about celebrating the things worth celebrating. Perfect Lies comes out in February. It was a beast of a sequel to structure and write, and I'm so proud of how it turned out. I'll be on tour in February (New York, DC, Nashville area, and New Orleans!). I hope I'll see some of you, because you are worth celebrating with.

In the Shadows comes out in April. Jim Di Bartolo, my partner in crime and fiction, is worth celebrating, too. I'm so excited for this truly unique book to hit the world, and proud to be a part of it. We'll see some of you in Texas, and maybe elsewhere.

And then in September comes Illusions of Fate. This book was a draft of joy. In early 2012 I was tired and shell-shocked and needing a break. Out of nowhere came a book about magic and manners and Capital-L Love. I can't wait for you to read it. I can't wait to show you the gorgeous cover and talk more about it. I can't wait to...well, actually, I suppose I can wait because I have two books between now and then. So. Wait we must. But I have first pass pages, and LOOK AT THAT BEAUTY. Man oh man.

I hope your 2013 was kind. I hope your 2014 bursts with joy and fulfillment. I hope your days are brimming with people and projects that make you feel the best and most you possible.

As for me, I'm greeting 2014 like the friend I hope it will be. Exciting, maybe occasionally aggravating, but always worth embracing. And if this particular friend is unpredictable, well, I'll look at that as fun rather than terrifying.

Unless that friend asks to borrow my car, in which case, umm it's a year, what does it need a car for?


Ashley said...

Such an awesome haircut! I'm working on worrying about things I can control and letting go those I cannot. My personality goes against this of course.

Also, hello there baby otter. So cute.

Rebecca T. said...

There really is something about cutting off a large-ish chunk of hair that seems vaguely murder-esque.

I love the new look though! And I'm really really really hoping I can make it to the signing in New York because I've been dying to meet you for forever!

Here's to a fantastic 2014!

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Oh nice! I love your new haircut! Very nice! Hope you have a fantastic year as well!

Miranda R said...

You and your new hair cut look gorgeously gorgeous! Haha! Anyway I wish some of my favoritw authors came to Alabama....dramatically sighs. Back to the happy moments, Happy New Year!!! I hope this year for you goes marvelous!

Katieb Mundie Moms said...

LOVE your hair. Also, you ARE AMAZING!

rockinlibrarian said...

To you the same! This was a beautiful, inspiring post, and I thank you for it.

Isaiah Campbell said...

I dunno, it might need a car. I heard 2014 is going to have lots of dates.*CRICKETS* OK, I'll see myself out.

writerrobynlarue said...

You've had several busy years (and sleep deprivation makes things so much harder). May 2014 be paced just right for you and congrats again on Baby Otter. :) I've been following your blog since 2008 (orig under my legal name) and your posts never fail to encourage. Best of everything in 2014 for your family and your career. :) If you end up in Dallas, I'll try to get there.

Lindsey Bench said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! And I really hope it is HAPPY! My resolution this year is to choose happiness. That means I have to let go of those annoying things I can't control, so here we go!

HRH said...

Kiersten, love the hair! I chopped mine this year too and I love it! I hope you are loving it too. You look amazing!

Eliza said...

I like your haircut but you need a green streak like Isadora. I expect a green streak.

Michelle Wolfson said...

BIRD!!!!!! GAH!!!!!! Yeah yeah yeah, love the hair. But that's old news already. LOVE THAT BIRD!!! 2014 is going to be awesome!!!

Hi baby!!! :)

heidikins said...

Love the hair! Love the little babe! (who is probably not quite so little anymore) Love the upcoming schedule of Awesome!!


Anonymous said...

So pretty! Please blog more, I love your previous inspirational posts. I hope your son gets over his fear soon though I must say your kids are adorable :)

Jacqueline Yeager said...

What a great approach to 2014! I'm a bit of a control freak too so I get what you're saying~ I just happened upon your blog. So glad I did! :)

Karen Akins said...

Your 2013 sounds surprisingly similar to mine. And your 2014 sounds decidedly awesome. (As is your hair.)