Monday, September 2, 2013

CHAOS Thoughts

Isadora was the voice that wouldn’t go away. I started her book, stopped, set it aside and declared it would never work no fewer than four or five times. But unlike most of the other ideas I decide aren’t happening, she wouldn’t leave me alone. There's a particular constellation that's important in the novel and when I'd decided to quit writing it, I kid you not, I felt actual guilt every time I saw those stars in the sky. When you start apologizing to stars, either you are crazy or you need to just write the dang book.

(Cover design by the brilliant Michelle Taormina. Bookmark design by Keary Taylor.)

In the end, THE CHAOS OF STARS came together when I finally gave up on what I thought the book should be (action! adventure! a trilogy!) and let it be what it needed to be—an intimate family drama, a book about allowing people to love us even if it isn’t the way we think they should, and an exploration of that strange period in adolescence when you realize your parents aren’t perfect and you don’t know what to do with that information. Made even worse when your mother is literally the goddess of motherhood. If she can’t do it right, who can?

Plus a hippo-crocodile-lion underworld demon who may or may not devour your heart whole. Because what’s an intimate family drama without one of those?

It's a strange little beast, more contemporary than paranormal. And it's by far my most personal book. I started it when things in my life were not what I wanted them to be and I felt very angry and betrayed. Isadora, my darling, arrogant, angry narrator, was the voice I needed at the time. I love her. I love the particular journey we went on together, through betrayal and anger to hope and happiness. 

I hope it's a journey you'll enjoy reading in just one week. And, if you want, you can read the first sixty pages online for free right now.

CUE PANIC.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank you so much for this post! It makes me all the more excited to read CHAOS and meet Isadora. Congratulations on finally having it come out, complete with a totally awesome cover. I hope I can be the first to wish you a Happy (early) Book Birthday!

Indigo said...

Wicked way to introduce Isadora sweet friend. I had the same journey with my current WIP. I kept trying to force the mold and my character stomped and threw a hissy fit to the point of shelving the book. Slowly, but surely...she started to talk and hint about the way she truly felt. It sounds insane, but sometimes we have to let go of the reins and let our characters live out their stories. (Hugs)Indigo

Megs said...

I am just so darn excited for this book. I've been waiting for it for a LONG long time.

And it's finally here.

THANK YOU. Love your guts. :) :) :) :) :)

Rebecca T. said...

I can't even tell you how excited I was to discover that Chaos comes out during a lull in my teaching schedule so I can devour it immediately! Like as excited as if a chocolate bar magically appeared on my desk right now. Except more! Yes, I want to read your book more than I want chocolate - there's a compliment for you ;)

Sade said...

Are you going to write a sequel to chaos of the stars? I liked it sooooooooo much and I hope to read more about issadora if possible!!!!!!!