Monday, February 11, 2013

THE CHAOS OF STARS Cover Reveal!!!

...is not here. It's over on EpicReads, a fabulously fun book site run by HarperTeen.

GO LOOK GO LOOK GO LOOK!

After you've looked, you can come back here to see my opinion.

Frankly, I've loved all of my covers. That's a rare and fortunate thing for authors, since we don't really have any say in what we get. But each cover I've gotten has a) been amazing and b) somehow topped the last. I really don't know what they're going to be doing seven or ten books from now. Maybe they will be holographic and taste like chocolate but with no calories? That's pretty much the only way they can keep escalating like this.

THE CHAOS OF STARS was my most difficult book. I worked on the first draft on and off for nearly two years, trying to get it right. And then edits with my brilliant editor Erica Sussman were intense and more involved and sweeping than any edits I had done before. I despaired that the book would never, ever be what I wanted it to be.

And then, sometime just before copyedits, I realized: we'd done it. I finally had Isadora's story, the story I was hoping to tell all along, and it was amazing. (The feeling, not the story. Though I think the story is amazing, too, but that makes me sound arrogant. WHAT CAN I SAY, I WORKED REALLY HARD, GUYS.)

I'll admit I was super nervous for this cover. It could have gone wrong in so many ways. This is a weird book, a sort of hybrid contemporary-family-drama-romantic-comedy-coming-of-age-but-oh-yeah-also-with-Egyptian-gods creature. That is a very hard creature to try and capture in a cover image. And giving Isadora a fauxhawk with a hunter green chunk in the middle didn't really make their job any easier.

So, when I got this cover, I'll admit it: I cried.

I haven't cried over any of my other covers, but seeing something so beautiful and so perfect for a book I worked so long and hard over was the most completely validating reward possible. Don't tell my other books, but this is my favorite cover. The gorgeous simplicity, the way my name is worked into the design, the little details that say so much about the book. It's all exactly right.

I hope you love it! I hope you'll read it when it comes out on September 9th! And, in the meantime, don't forget about that other gorgeously covered book that goes on sale in just eight days... Still time to enter the preorder contest!

23 comments:

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

So beautiful, Kiersten. I love it. Congrats!

heidikins said...

Ooooh! Love it!

I see an enormous case of gold sharpie's in your future!

xox

Ms. Snip said...

That is sooooo beautiful! You must be so proud! Great job sticking with those edits so we get to read it - and I can't wait!! :)

Delia said...

Okay, I like your other covers, but this is my solid favorite. Gorgeous.

Aurora Smith said...

Awesome, rad sauce!

Rachel Searles said...

It's absolutely beautiful, congrats!

Heather Hoyt said...

So I saw it and said, "Wow." I never do that for cover reveals. So beautiful.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wow! Gorgeous cover. Can't wait to read it.

Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings) said...

So this is Isadora?
Oh, it's a gorgeous cover

Daniela said...

When I saw this cover, I gasped out loud! It's so gorgeous and subtle and PERFECT, basically. Congrats!

Jessa said...

I'm in love with this cover. This is lovely. And I am super excited for a mythology-based book from you!!! :)

Makayla Anderson said...

I love the RDJr gif. I sat there watching it for five minutes until I realized I hadnt actually seen the cover yet (which was gorgeous).

Dena McMurdie said...

Gorgeous cover!

sarah-painter.com said...

That is a fabulous cover - congratulations!

Haneen I. Adam said...

Wow! that is definitely one of the most beautiful and elegant cover I have seen lately. And your name! I love how it was added to the over all art. Well you worked hard for this one so you sure deserve it, enjoy :)

Savannah J. Foley said...

Wow, it is so beautiful! Lucky!!! :-)

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Cover is lovely! Very excited! Loved mind games by the way :)

Megan M. said...

That is seriously gorgeous. I love it.

Rebecca T. said...

I cried a little when I saw this cover too - SO GORGEOUS I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE IT. Between this one and Mind Games I'm pretty sure I could never ever write a book just because my covers could never compete :P

(jk)(maybe)

But seriously. This is one of the most beautiful covers and it's so eyecatching and DIFFERENT in a really good way.

And I will stop babbling now, but YAY!

Allison G. said...

Wow! Can't wait to read it! I love your books! And chocolate! If i ever become an author I would want Harperteen to do my book covers too! :)

Christine Tyler said...

If I saw this at the bookstore, I would want to buy this book before even reading the back. This is beyond gorgeous.

Dorothy said...

i love it...it looks awesome!

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

Yes the cover is fantastic. So so pretty