Monday, October 15, 2012

Once Upon a Time

When Hot Stuff and I went to England last April, we stayed in a castle. (Actually, we stayed in the top of a TOWER in a castle, which makes it infinitely cooler, no?) This is not actually something we make a habit of, so it was kind of special. Bonus: the city it is in is called Thornbury, which of course needs to be said with a ridiculous and completely inaccurately exaggerated accent.

The bed was not nearly big enough for the two of us. Wait. I mean, the bed was big enough for Henry the 8th and all of his wives, headless or otherwise.

What is that odd wooden chair next to the bath? THE TOILET, OF COURSE. Because toilets in castles have to be extra special, you know? Also, every shower should have its own fireplace, I've decided.

 Oh, you know, just a centuries-old church as viewed from the above bathroom. No biggie. We went and visited and were regaled with local stories of MURDER AND INTRIGUE by an adorable woman who lives there. I am not even kidding.


A Tudor castle? Well, no, it actually had more than two doors. HA HA HA.
Sorry. Had to.

 It was rainy and misty, which felt very appropriate. Well done, England!

 "Ha ha! I am in ENGLAND! At a CASTLE! Sneaking through HEDGES! And it is RAINING! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY."

I love that end section where the second floor has fallen apart and they just left it. ENGLAND: You do everything right.


Anne Boleyn and Henry the 8th ALSO stayed here. But they checked out before we arrived.
JUST MISSED THEM. Like, by a few centuries.


 Even ruined stone walls are better in England.


 Sure, Thornbury museum. A conductor's baton. We believe that. MM HMM.
Totally a wand.

And finally, if Hot Stuff and I ever have to pick a family crest, we are totally copying this:

UPSIDE-DOWN PRETZEL FTW.

18 comments:

bevjoneswriting said...

Your enjoyment is just pouring out of this post! Fantastic! A little reminder to all us blase people in England and Wales (me)how cool castles are. We're practically falling over the bloomin things - especially if you live somewhere like Carephilly or Pembroke where the whopping big castle is in the middle of the town! I have never, however stayed in a castle - now I might do it just for the hell of it! :)

MoonStar said...

Ahhh... I wanna go on a trip like that :D Looks magical :D

Kiersten White said...

Yeah, Bev, our "Old Town" area of San Diego boasts buildings created...in 1900! THE WONDER. THE HERITAGE. THE...oh, forget it.

rockinlibrarian said...

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS pics! Oh when oh when will I get to see England?

Ashley said...

You really continue to be the cutest.

Llana said...

Glad you had fun .
And that was totally a wand(they don't Fool us muggles anymore)

Jeigh said...

A TOILET WITH ARMRESTS??? *books immediate trip to England*

Makayla Anderson said...

Fireplaces: Showers is a pretty good ratio, right?

Megan M. said...

I love all of this. Thoooooorn-bury. I can totally hear the accent.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Love it all! Sounds like a fabulous trip!

heidikins said...

This makes me so happy, not entirely sure why, but it does. :)

xox

Kelly said...

I've never actually visited this castle even though, yes I do live in England. :) Glad you both had an amazing time though. And it was rainy. Yes- we even get the weather right for you. :D

Sara B. Larson said...

HOLY JEALOUS. You just lived my Jane Austen induced fantasy vacation. Wow. Gorgeous. Amazing. If I ever get rich, I'm going to ask you for the reservation hotline to this place, m'kay? ;)

Kate said...

I want to go to England so much!!! I think spending the night in a castle is a brilliant beyond brilliant idea! And love the choice of the upside down pretzel, very nice. :)

Liesel K Hill said...

LOL! Great post and great picks. Totally want to visit England some day! Thanks! It made me chuckle! ;D

E.B. Black said...

Wow. Your trip looks like it was so much fun!

Musing Novelist said...

Wow. Just . . . wow.

lora96 said...

Pretty pretty pretty! That is just exciting even to see the pics.