Wednesday, September 12, 2012

No Biggie

"Huzzah! I have written the book I was supposed to write! I will set it aside for a couple of months to let it stew so I can put my finger on what, precisely, is off about it. Doubtless it will be an easy fix! No biggie!"

Two months later:

"I figured out what was off about it! It was the entire plot of one of the dual POV's! I will change that but keep the other one, and it will be a less-than-easy fix, but no biggie!"

One month later, aka last night, aka three weeks before deadline:

"Oh, just kidding! Actually turns out I wrote ENTIRELY the wrong book, start-to-finish, and need to just go ahead and write A WHOLE NEW BOOK. No biggie! NO BIGGIE! HA HA HA WHATEVER NO BIGGIE AT ALL NO BIGGIE NO BIGGIE NO BIGGIE."

If the highest praise you can give a book is that nothing is wrong with it, everything is wrong with it. I refuse to turn in a mediocre book when I know I can do better.

I just wish the whole doing better thing came, you know, THREE MONTHS AGO.

18 comments:

Jordan McCollum said...

Good luck!!

shannon hale said...

am laughing. out loud. in empathy.

heidikins said...

Here, have a Dr. Pepper.

xox

John Caliburn said...

Dear Kiersten,

Why are you blogging?

Work on the book! Your deadline is coming up!

From,
An impatient fan of your books. :)

Konstanz Silverbow said...

We believe you can do it! Good luck!

Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com

Jessica@a GREAT read said...

Oh my, poor Kiersten! Sending you a big (virtual)hug and a prescription for cookie dough or chocolate--whichever you prefer! Cookie dough tends to ease my stress, albeit temporarily, but that one second of bliss is nice!

Jade Timms said...

Aww, crap! That sucks, but you have te right attitude. I have much respect for writers who push themselves to the edge of sanity to produce the best book they can.

All the best!

Melissa said...

Mmmm good luck with that!

But seriously, I have every faith that you will do it, it won't be easy, but you will do and it will be fabulous!!!

Maybe I should be sending you TimTams and fruchocs from Australia, to help you along! (timtams are the greatest chocolate biscuit on earth, and fruchocs are wonderful chocolate balls with a peach and apricot filling of amazingness!)

Paula said...

Aw, I feel your pain. But maybe it's not as bad as you think and you're just having a moment of self-doubt...?

Keshia Swaim said...

You can DO it!

Kate said...

Good luck to you! It'll be hard, but worth it. I'm very excited to read it! :)
So is this Mind Games or Mind Games 2? Or something else entirely?

Makayla Anderson said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Kelly said...

Aww, good luck. You can do it!! :)

Kristi said...

Haha!! NO BIGGIE. You got this. :)

And good for you on sticking to your instincts!

readerfreak22 said...

Good luck! We all know you can do it! If it makes you feel any better I have been having a bad day and you made me laugh and feel better, so I thank you! =)

Anonymous said...

:D CAN'T WAIT I'VE RECENTLY BEEN READING THE PARANORMALCY TRIOLIGY AND I LOVE YOUR BOOKS IM A BIG FAN. GOOD LUCK AND BETTER GET GOING.

Meg T. said...

I wanted to say the same thing as Paula. Doesn't everyone think the thing they created is awful? But you haven't become a bestselling author by accident, so I'm sure you know what you're doing. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Here is a comment on chocolate:


CHOCOLATE IS YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!



Your welcome for the comment on chocolate,

"Paranormalcy" fan ;)