Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why I Write

Sometimes people ask me why I chose to write for teens. From now on I'm going to direct them to this:

"Been a fan of yours for a while but what made me so happy yesterday was when my 12 year old took Paranormalcy off my shelf...and is currently on page 226. I've never seen her read anything so quickly. Paranormalcy is all she's been talking about...the only other series she's loved this much is Percy Jackson. Everything else she stops reading after a few chapters. I've been waiting so long to find a book series that we both adore and can chat about :o) So...thank you :o)"

OH MY GOSH SHE IS THE CUTEST.

There is nothing--no awards, no distinctions, no reviews, no prestige--that makes me happier than knowing that young teens have fun reading my books, and that parents can share that reading experience with their kids. Moments like these are the absolute pinnacle of my career.

If you write for teens/pre-teens, if you wonder whether maybe you'd be taken more seriously if you wrote for adults, or maybe you'd make more money, or maybe you'd stop getting sympathy acne from all the angst you channel, please remember: IT IS WORTH IT. YOU WRITE FOR THE ABSOLUTE BEST AUDIENCE EVER.

Also I totally want her Pokemon shirt.

11 comments:

Dayana Stockdale said...

Aww that is awesome! I love series that get kids excited about reading. What a great compliment!

Kami said...

Warm fuzzies!!

I love that she is wearing a Pokemon shirt. I want to meet that girl!

Peter Dudley said...

Amen.

Melanie Stanford said...

Sympathy acne. So THAT's why!!!

Delia said...

This is so cool. And, just so you know, I shared the series with my twelve year old, too. She loved it (and so did the friends to whom she loaned it). It's a wonderful thing to share books with your kids. :)

Makayla Anderson said...

I try to get my mom to read my books, to bad this series is on my Nook and is unlendable for some reason. :-/

Kate said...

Awesome! I love writing for teens and pre-teens! It's my favoritetess! I feel most of the time that teens are the ones who most appreciative fun and entertaining literature. They know how to read for fun and have a good time laughing. :)
Also, my best friends younger sister will never read anything. She'll start it and set it down then never pick it back up. She started Paranoramalcy and finished it so quickly! She LOVED it!!! :)
Thank you for sharing your awesome talent and loving your fabulous career! :)

Artemis Grey said...

Yes, YES. This is why I keep writing and querying and gritting my teeth against the 'almost' so I'll eventually get to a 'yes'. Because some day, I want to get a letter like this, and then I will sit there and blub over it and be so happy that I endured and persisted.

Kim Walus said...

Okay, so, I don't leave very many comments these days but I just had to say I totally agree with this mother's comments! My daughter was exactly the same way when she was twelve and had a similar experience and since then has become a READER!!! That makes me so happy I can't even articulate it very well.

Just so you know...Kenna actually beat me this summer and read 10 BOOKS. Can you believe it! Wow! I have you to thank for writing such an amazing book and now she can hardly wait to read Natalie's books too. THANKS SO MUCH!!! Just keep writing those books for us FANS!!!

BTW, I can hardly wait for Mind Games to come out!

kandie @kankan929 on twitter said...

Absolutely. She's too cute and that shirt rocks. I have always wanted to write a YA book, as I have about 13 nieces and nephews (combined). I want them to embrace reading as I did when I was a kid, and encourage youth (and adult) literacy. GREAT POST

Liesel K Hill said...

That's WAY cute! What a compliment for an author! :D