Sunday, August 12, 2012

Presenting SISTER ASSASSIN!

One thing you learn as an author is that figuring out ONE WAY to represent an entire book is impossible. Plain and simple. It can't be done. So you try to figure out the best way to represent as much of the book as possible, you craft a title and a cover with your publisher, and you hope that it finds the audience who will appreciate it.

And this is where I get to the REALLY EXCITING announcement! I know that my readers in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand had to wait to read the Paranormalcy series. But HarperCollins UK bought the rights to MIND GAMES, and is releasing the same day as the US release! February 19th, whether you are in the US or the UK or Australia or New Zealand!

BUT...the book you get won't be MIND GAMES. It will be...

Wait, I already killed that tension with the post title, didn't I? DANGIT. FINE. How about I just give you the cover?


Guys, I just...I can't even...HOW COOL IS THIS??

I'm so thrilled with the design that my UK publisher came up with. It's amazing to me that I got not one but two covers for the same book, both of which capture it strikingly well in such wildly different ways.  I love the stark intensity of this cover, the drama of the black and white image with the red text. And I love the tagline! I also feel like they nailed the models for Fia (on the left) and Annie (on the right). For such a simple design there was a lot of attention to detail. HIGH FIVE, YOU PHENOMENAL BRITS, YOU! (Unless the design team aren't all Brits, in which case, I really ought to come back and apologize in person, right?)

It's also fascinating to me to see what different countries emphasize depending on their own reading market. If you recall, my German Paranormalcy covers from Loewe Verlag are VERY VERY pink, with a fun and flirty design, emphasizing the perk and humor and romance. (DREAMS 'N' WHISPERS is SUPERNATURALLY, in case you were confused. Titles change a lot!) The US covers for that series are much darker, emphasizing the paranormal drama. And both covers work, both capture the book in a different but accurate way.

I feel the same way about MIND GAMES and SISTER ASSASSIN. Both are books I'd pick up and read. Both are specifically tailored to the audience they are trying to find. And I sincerely hope both find that audience, because I love this book and can't wait for you to read it!

THIS TIME WITHOUT A DELAY, BECAUSE I LOVE YOU THAT MUCH* UK, AUSTRALIA, AND NEW ZEALAND!

*Okay okay fine, it's out of my control, but it does make me so happy that you don't have to wait! Hooray for HarperUK!

12 comments:

ashley said...

I find foreign versions so much fun! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Jade said...

That cover is epic. I may have to get one of each.

Now all we need is an Australian tour...

Zoƫ Marriott said...

Am I ridiculously shallow if my favourite thing about the UK cover is that both models look exactly like Christina Ricci? She's my favourite!

Jazmin said...

I'm all excited, I'm going to have to buy BOTH. Now, I really wanna see how the Chinese, the French and the Spanish (to name a few) interpret the cover/title!! *sigh* February so long though!! I'll go reread the Paranormalcy trilogy and create artsy things and playlists for Mind Games to pass time.

Beth said...

YES! YAY. THIS. I love it when I don't have to wait for books!!!

MystGrrl said...

Woot Woot!!! That is AWESOME!!! Hope you get to visit us in the Sunny Land of Oz soon :-)

P.S > What better than Chocolate? Chocolate covered Double Choc Fudge Sundae... with Sprinkles & Marshmallows.... AND a Cherry on top... Mmmmm *Drools* LOL

Britt said...

Wow, that Sister Assassin cover is pretty intense...kinda creepy too. Totally awesome though. That is a super cute cover for Dreams 'N' Whispers! Thanks for sharing :)

Kate said...

Awesome love it!!! May totally have to by a UK version in addition to Mind Games!!! :) :) :)

Makayla Anderson said...

I read that UK books a lot of times have a teenage and adult version, theyre slightly different. And by adult I dont mean erotic, it just has stuff adults would be more interested in. And the two age level versions have DIFFERENT covers!!

Kelly said...

I love the UK cover just as much and I'm so happy I don't have to wait longer this time!! :)

By the way I've just finished Endlessly and it's such a great ending, Kiersten. All 3 books look very shiny on my bookshelf and I guess Evie would like that. :)

Kris (Imaginary Reads) said...

Great covers!! You are so lucky with your designs. They're all so amazing, I want to buy them all!! As challenging as it would be for me to read the non-English editions, as I've only taken six years of French and a year of Chinese and have no experience with other languages.

Sheepa said...

Is it just me or does the girl with the short hair look like Christina Ricci?