Sunday, August 26, 2012

How to Write

I know many authors do inspiration boards. Well, the authors at my house do rule boards. Observe:

The first rule of Fight Club...
Wait.
The First Rule of Writing a Book is DONT TELL ANYWONE ABOUT THE BOOK

 The Second Rule of Writing a Book is DONT LOOK AT THE BOOK

The Third Rule of Writing a Book is Choose a Good Pen Name
(First names edited out, but yes: they use my pen name as their last name when writing. SO CUTE I KNOW.)

And, the most important rule:

 The book is going to be great!!!

Don't ever forget that last one.

Seriously, I think these are going to stay taped up on my wall forever. But my kids are pretty dang smart. Observe:

Don't tell anyone about the book. Keep it yours while you are writing it, because so many people are going to see it at other stages. First drafting is for YOU.

Don't look at the book: In their case I think it has more to do with secrecy (in which case, maybe they shouldn't tape the pages up on the wall as they go along? I dunno, I'm not six, so clearly I don't understand these things), but I think it applies to drafting. I try not to look at the book while I'm writing it. Nothing kills that first draft wave for me faster than editing as I'm working.

Third rule, well, we can't ALL use White as our last name when writing. Sorry.

And finally, despair is for after you've finished the first draft and realized how much editing you have ahead of you. First draft? Repeat after me: THE BOOK IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!

(Just to clarify, there are no "rules" for writing for my kids [or for anyone, really, if you ask my honest opinion]. They did this on their own. I'm still not quite sure where it came from, but making these and putting them on the wall took more time than the actual writing. So, another aspect of writing they have down pat! Doing "important" things to get ready to write and then never getting to the writing! Pros already!)

13 comments:

Lacie J. Archer said...

That is some seriously awesome advice! Advice made of shiny and chocolate even. :3

Brenna Braaten said...

That is so darn cute! And some good advice. There are a couple parts that don't work for me personally, but I think they're still quite solid. Did you work with them on these rules or did they come up with them on their own?

Kiersten White said...

This was totally random and on their own. I never give them rules (for writing, at least). In fact, my son spent more time making these and taping them up than he did on the actual book...

megan said...

Kiersten White is a pen name? I had no idea. Why did you choose to write under a pen name? Is White a family name or did you just choose it because it is easy to remember? So curious!

Kiersten White said...

White is my maiden name, and since Kiersten is a bit odder (spelling and pronunciation), I opted for an easy to spell, easy to say, easy to remember last name : )

Peter Dudley said...

The kind of thing to keep forever, with a little note to yourself about context, and then drag out of the attic in 35 years. Precious (in a good way).

Musing Novelist said...

I'm slowly learning to keep my inner editor tied up and gagged while working on the first draft. Thanks for the adorable reminder!

Michelle Wolfson said...

Don't knock my future clients' creative process.

Makayla Anderson said...

That is so cute! You have smart (and creative) kids! :)

Kate said...

That is fabulous!!! So cute and clever! Tell you're very creative kids that they totally rock! :)

Whirlochre said...

tanks for the grat infamashun

E.B. Black said...

We can't all use the last name White when we write? Hmmm. That must be why I chose Black . . . . . .

LOL. Sorry. I'm just in a silly mood.

ClareMDavidson said...

That's fabulous! I love the last one! Thanks for sharing.