Friday, August 12, 2011

So, This Happened:

Variety broke the news that Ray Kay is attached to direct the Paranormalcy movie. Ray Kay is a music video director who works with really obscure musicians you have never heard of, like Britney and Lady Gaga and some Bieber kid, and whose music videos do okay I guess, something like a billion views altogether*.

Then Perez Hilton picked up the story. Which, whatever, I get named on the biggest gossip site in the world regularly. So, no biggie there, either.

But then? THEN? This:


THAT'S RIGHT. MR BELDING HIMSELF TWEETED ABOUT PARANORMALCY. In between Zack and the gang crashing and then fixing his new red car, ruining his Bonsai tree and then winning him a trip to Hawaii, having his wife's baby delivered in the elevator that was in the school for just that one episode that nobody likes to talk about because it was during the Tori episodes and those were dark days at Bayside High, and otherwise trying to keep that adorable, frosted-tipped menace Zack Morris in line, Mr Belding tweeted about MY BOOK('s movie).

MY CHILDHOOD IS OFFICIALLY COMPLETE. I am ONE DEGREE FROM MISTER BELDING. (And two degrees from Britney and Gaga and Bieber. BUT SERIOUSLY. MR BELDING.)

And I have the weirdest, best life ever. Bayside is the school that is cool, and you know that it's true! (KNOW THAT IT'S TRUE.)

I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...so...

Well, no. I'm just excited. Seriously? Excited.

(To pre-emptively answer your questions: No, they are not casting the movie yet, they are working on the screenplay. No, this doesn't guarantee a movie will get made because Hollywood is a tricky place, but it's looking better and better. No, I cannot get you into the movie. Yes, I have more followers than Mr Belding on Twitter, and yes, there is something wrong with the world since that is true. I mean, COME ON. How many principals let their students vote to allow oil drilling on school property until Becky the Duck gets hurt and then they realize it's just not worth it?? This is totally stressing me out. I'm gonna OD on caffeine pills, go to The Max, and get a shake. And then? I just might hit up The Attic with my fake ID!)

(Okay. No more Saved By The Bell insider jokes. I'm not sure how a post that should be all, OH MY GOSH A MOVIE AND A DIRECTOR! turned into being all about Saved By the Bell. Wait, I'm totally sure. How could it not??)

*Seriously? Aside from being the most watched videos of all time, his videos are GORGEOUS. I even listened to an entire Justin Bieber song just to watch one. Super, super excited with the direction he'll take everything in with the whole team at Reverie, and very excited to see how the screenplay takes shape! I will keep you posted. Screech is making me my own personal robot butler so I can do just that!

49 comments:

linda said...

OMG that is SO exciting! Congrats!

Angela Felsted said...

Kiersten, you have the best teen voice in every one of your blog posts. So fun to read. And congratulations!

Lexie said...

Gah! O_O That's so amazing. MR. BELDING. :D
Ahaha. I really hope Paranormalcy does, in fact, become a movie. That would be amazing.

Giles Hash said...

This is so cool! I hope they make this the best movie EVER! Oscar nominations, Teen Choice Awards, an Emmy or ten... seriously, this is exciting!

nicolekrell said...

That is very cool! Plus, you know when it does get made into a movie, it should have an amazing soundtrack. :)

My 5 Monkeys(Julie) said...

congrats and happy dance

Sabrina said...

Cue my excited, happy scream over here! Congratulations!

Brad Jaeger said...

Even though I love Lady Gaga, I hate the music video (Poker Face) he was responsible for. And Bieber is devil's spawn.

They also spelled your name wrong on PH :(

But still - great news!

Michelle Wolfson said...

Very exciting news about Mr. Belding!!!

Oh, and the movie too.

Kimberly Sabatini said...

Does *happy dance* for you and Mr. Belding!!!!!

storyqueen said...

Oh no...You don't think Mr. Belding has any pull with the director, do you? I mean, will Screech play Lend? Will Mario Lopez play Reth?

I just don't know what to do with this info...

(But Congratulations, dahling!!!So happy that it's one step closer.)

Shelley

Susanne Winnacker said...

Wow! Congrats!

Laura Ann Swanson said...

OH MY GOD @ Storyqueen!!!

I want Screech to play one of the weird paranormals that Evie tazes!!

I could die happy then!

Congrats!

Cameron said...

Sad. Google only lets me +1 this, when it deserves +10

Chantele Sedgwick said...

How exciting! And I LOVED Saved By The Bell! Zack Morris was the best. I was sort of partial to Slater too. ;) And don't even get me started on the Tori days!

BrittLit said...

YAY ^_^ CONGRATS!

Samantha said...

That is so exciting! And who doesn't love Saved by the Bell AMIRIGHT?

:)


Samantha
Writing Through College

Jessica Lemmon said...

I bet your squeeing can be heard for miles! Congrats!

Leigh said...

OMG that is awesome, Kiersten! I actually MET Mr. Belding in Vegas a couple of years ago. I also met Jaime Fox and some other celebs but I was most excited about Mr. Belding. It was awesome and he was very nice.:)

Sarah Laurenson said...

I'm excited for you. All this couldn't have happened to a nicer writer.

BibliophileKBE said...

To whoever is making this movie (because I know that you will totally be reading this, because I'm sure you have nothing better to do than read the comments on author's blogs): please, please, please don't it end up like the Twilight Saga, where they're good books, but the movies are horrible and ruined the books for me. I just might die if they do this to Paranormalcy. Although I really don't think anything could ruin this book for me. And also, who are these mysterious Britney and Lady Gaga and Beiber people? They can't be famous or have millions of fans like my sister who freak out and shriek and jump up and down and destroy your eardrums at all.

Melanie Jacobson said...

The caffeine pill episode led to me and some other concerned Mia Maids staging an intervention of our friend's No-Doz habit during finals week. Seriously.

Stephanie Perkins said...

QMG MR BELDING WHY DIDNT YOU TEXT ME THIS IMMEDIATELY RED ALERT RED ALERT!!!

Stephanie Perkins said...

Also, this:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Mr. Belding's Twitter name is Mr. Belding! I am so happy to know he has a sense of humor about this.

Kiersten White said...

I was going to, but it was the middle of the night! And you need to sleep more. BUT YES. MR BELDING.

Rowena said...

Congrats, this post just made me so happy. I remember every episode that you mentioned, oh man I used to love that show!

Maegan Langer said...

I got every single Saved By the Bell inside joke you listed. We are kindred spirits ;-) Congratulations!

Hannah said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy. Even if the movie's not mine.

Dara said...

This is beyond awesomeness. :)

Tameka said...

I'm not sure if I'm more excited that Paranormalcy is going to be become a movie OR that Mr. Belding has a Twitter account OR that Mr. Belding tweeted about Paranormalcy becoming a movie from his Twitter account! It's all too much excitement to comprehend!

PS- RIP Becky the Duck.

My Life With Books - Jennifer K Jovus said...

Oh my goodness this is awesome! Congrats Kiersten - I am very happy for you. :)
Jen
PS
I still watch Saved By The Bell every morning at 6:00 AM!

Kathryn Packer Roberts said...

Yeah Kriesten! And yeah Mr. Belding! That's pretty gosh darn awesome. Geez, things just keep getting better for you! It's too bad Oprah gave up being a talk show host otherwise we'd get to see you on there as well =)

Jillian said...

I can't believe my excitement at the Paranormalcy movie process was just totally upstaged by my excitement about Mr. Belding and the "I'm so excited!" reference. You and your posts are hilarious.

...and, clearly, exciting.

pawz said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am sooo happy for you!!!!
as long as they don't ruin it (which lets face it how can anyone ruin paranormalcy i mean you would have to.... wait let me think about it cause at the moment i cant think of anything you could do to ruin it...)
****scream******

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome news. I can really see your book as a movie. Can't wait.

Megs said...

Whoo HOO! :)

Amanda said...

Congrats Kiersten You Deserve It!!!

Julie said...

I laughed my whole way through this because I can't imagine anything more exciting than everything that is happening to you! Congrats!

brittanydhoward said...

Man, I love you! I love that you are more excited about Mr. Belding than Variety and Perez Hilton.

You. Are. Amazing.

Geoff said...

LOL Stunning.

Angel's_eyes said...

BLEEP!

That is awesome. I hope it really does get made into a movie, becuase it's just awesome like that. ;)

Lauren said...

Fantastic news, Kiersten. Congrats!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I admit it: I think a mention from Mr. Belding is way cooler than some Lady Gaga chick.

WAY COOLER.

I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so scared!

Sabrina said...

Congrats! I hope it does come to the theater! I love your books.

Katie Dodge said...

First, CONGRATS!!!! How fantastic is that! Second, you took me back with all your Saved By The Bell mentions! LOVE IT!!!! Now I'm off to give Mr. Belding another follow...

Gjertrud said...

Is it sort of embarrassing that I hadn't really heard the name Ray Kay before I saw this, and apparantly he grew up in the closest town to where I live?
But this means there is the tinyest smallest chance you might come here. Haugesund has the Norwegian version of Oscars (Amanda film festival), and there are lots of premieres and such those weeks (come to think of it, this year's festival is in two days)
But as I were saying, there is a microscopic chance you'll come here, and untill I hear otherwise I will have my small hope of that ;)

Megan Louise said...

Holy bleeping fantastic!!! I just finished Paranormalcy, like five seconds ago and just needed more you. So now I'll blog stalk you. Don't be freaked out. And the world would be a completely better place if everyone knew so much about Saved by the Bell. Seriously.

Rhonda said...

Holy Bleep! Mr. Belding?!? Dude. You are a bleeping rock star.

Living, Learning, Eating said...

Congratulations! You're pretty much in the dream situation with your book right now! :)

I'm waiting to hear back from Michelle Wolfson on a YA romance right now (*fingers crossed*, she has the full!) and am hoping-hoping-hoping that she likes it. I know it's been 1-2 months and could be 1-2 more until she decides on the full (or longer?) but I can't help checking my email near obsessively and slipping it into my prayers each night. :P

Congrats, again!