Friday, July 8, 2011

On Second Books

I'm counting down the days until the 26th, until Supernaturally comes out and is out there, in the world, out of my hands and control.

I'm trying not to feel sick about it.

See, second books are a funny thing. Because you know, no matter what--no matter what--there are going to be people who loved the first book and because they loved the first book they will not love the second book for the sole reason that it isn't the first book.

It isn't.

It can't be.

It shouldn't be.

But this doesn't change the fact that because they loved the first the second (through no fault of its own) will inevitably make them angry/disappoint them/leave them melancholy. You can't help but compare it to the first book. You might like it less. You might like it better. But it's different either way.

And you know what? I'm okay with that. You're allowed to like one better than the other. (They aren't children. You are not a terrible person if you have a preference.) I'm freaking proud of this book. It's exactly what I wanted it to be. It was HARD to write, and I think because of that I love it even more than I love Paranormalcy. It was always important to me to tell Evie's story, and Supernaturally is such an integral part of it. It's fun. It's funny. It's sad. It's agonizing.

It's life. It's that middle part--where you've finished getting that thing you've chased for so long and suddenly you're faced with what to do now that you're where you always wanted to be but...it's not what you thought it would be. And maybe you aren't who you thought you would be. Because even though you've changed where you are, who you are with, what you are doing, you're still you. And you shouldn't be, should you? Shouldn't you be a new you? A better you? A perfectly happy you?

A friend and I joked a while ago as we were struggling with different things that we were both in the metaphorical middle books of our trilogies. Hers was called "JUST LET ME SUCCEED ALREADY" and mine was called "I Have an Awesome Job BUT NO FREAKING BABIES." They weren't fun books.

I promise Supernaturally is more fun than either of those books. Neither of those books had unicorns in them. SUPERNATURALLY TOTALLY DOES, GUYS.

You may have figured out by now that as much as we say we don't, authors can't help but write themselves into their books. Supernaturally is about that in-between-time, that figuring out who to become so you can be ready for everything else that is going to happen.

Plus kissing.

Plus Tasers.

And plus unicorns.

I'm so excited for you to discover the next part of Evie's adventures, for you to get to know her better, to see what she does with everything she has--and doesn't have. I love this book. I hope you do, too.

UPDATE: And! And! If you want to get a sneak peek (of sorts) into Supernaturally, Amazon now has the Supernaturally playlist up! Many of you have asked what it was. Now you can see! (Also, one of the songs, the Etta James one, is not actually from my playlist. Not sure how it got there. But I'm sure it's awesome.)

18 comments:

Jessica said...

1- evie is so fun and has such a great and original voice that i am fairly certain i would be satisfied with SECOND BOOK if the plot was "evie reads the phone book while making goo-goo eyes at lend."

2- you are so fun and have such a great and original voice that i am fairly certain you will continue to make me laugh and cry for years to come.

lora96 said...

I'm guilty of being disappointed in second books...Catching Fire, Changeless...and yet, when I reread them (which I always do) I'm inevitably impressed by how essential they were to the story arc and how gracefully rendered. So I think it's more of a personality tic than the book's fault.

Supernaturally will, of course, be made of awesome.

Damyanti said...

All the best for your second book. I hope all your former fans love it...and it brings you new fans!

Ashley said...

No worries Kiersten. I know I"ll love it. As much as I like humor and giddy, I have a soft spot for sad and agonizing, too. Can't wait to read it!

Amanda J. said...

Excited!! :D

heidikins said...

I love unicorns! :)

xox

Debbie Barr said...

Well Kiersten, I found Supernaturally to be totally awesome and 100% satisfying, so I say you have nothing to worry about. :)

Besides, how can kissing, tasers, and unicorns ever go wrong? ;)

Jodi Meadows said...

Beautiful.

And I'm very much looking forward to SUPERNATURALLY.

Avery Michaels said...

I totally loved Paranormalcy and can't wait for Supernaturally! Banish those Doubt Demons! And then go eat some chocolate.
Avery

Daisy Whitney said...

I know the feeling, KW! And I also know Super is awesome!

Sarah said...

Unicorns!

Hannah said...

I would still read the book no matter what. I know my self to stick by a book even if the second book isn't as awesome as it might be. Though if the first book is sucky and the second book follows the same path.. well that book gets the door slammed in their face.

But your book will be AWESOME!! I was a bit skeptical about the first book but when I read it.. all I could say was WOW!! I even made my sis read it. I'm sure the second book will be as awesome, maybe more awesome, as the first. Can't wait.

Small Review said...

Aw, I loved Supernaturally. And Paranormalcy. They're different and that makes total sense. I love that you gave Evie time to regroup and sort through everything she's been through and where she wants to go from there.

Kate said...

I'm sure I'm going to love it! I actually tend to enjoy second books just as much it not more then the first one, because it is simply continuing the fun adventures that captured me in the first! :) And if you have the great humorous personalities still going then I'm all in, in deep, my head is under *cough* I can't breath! And I can't breath because I'm just so excited! Counting down days with anticipation! :) And I sure do love unicorns! :) And Lend, I really do love Lend. Can you pull him out of the book and send him to me? Because I'll take him, I'll take him right now! But, if that isn't possible, which I get the strange reality that it isn't, I'll just enjoy him in Supernaturally, and I would feel bad stealing him from Evie, especially if you pulled him out of the book, because Evie would be looking around wondering where he has escaped to, as would the rest of the world of fans reading the book! :)
And no, books are not kids, although on some level I'm sure they feel that way to you! :)

MIa said...

One word- Unicorns?

LOVE IT ALREADY!!!

Ok, Maybe it wasnt just one word, but whatever.

Jade said...

I totally wanted to steal Steph's copy. I resisted. Stupid conscience.

I'm hoping that there will be lockers in this one, too. You can't go wrong with lockers and unicorns.

Brad Jaeger said...

Generally I find that the middle act of trilogies is usually the weakest.

That being said I'm far too invested in this book to let that get to me :)

Can't wait to read it.

Melanie Jacobson said...

I get second-book letdown a lot because sometimes I don't feel like the overall story is any further along than when it started. However, if I'm invested in the characters, I'm always willing to hang in for the third. Then that often ends up being my favorite book in a trilogy.

I really like Evie. No matter what the story arc is for Superanaturally, I'm totally locked in all the way through #3.