Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In Which I Stand on a Chair to Talk About Unicorns

You guys.

YOU GUYS.

Yesterday was awesome.

As an author, you try to keep expectations low. I knew that I was excited about the launch party, and that I had two freaking awesome authors there with me (Andrea Cremer and Stephanie Perkins). I knew that it would be fun no matter what. But I really, really hoped that there would be at least thirty people there other than direct friends and family.

Ummm.

Why is that very short woman standing on a chair while her beautiful companions laugh?

Walking out to see the entire section of the Barnes and Noble full, plus people standing in neighboring aisles, to the point where I could only see the first row? Bleeping. Amazing.

We each read a short passage, took a few questions, and gave away some chocolate. (My favorite was the bar we gave for the person who had read any of our books the most times. I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't Racquel, who had read ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS ten times, and NIGHTSHADE and PARANORMALCY more than five times each. Holy adorable re-reader, Batman!) The crowd was incredibly awesome. And then we signed.

And signed.

And signed.

For the next two-and-a-half hours.

Thank you so very, very much to everyone who came. Thank you for waiting in line. Thank you for still being excited when you got up to get your books signed and take a picture even though you had been waiting in line for so long. I hope you had fun. I know we certainly did! Favorite moments include walking in to head to the back pre-signing and having a girl go, "Oh, you're Stephanie Perkins and Kiersten White. Oh my gosh. OH MY GOSH." And then hearing her repeat "Oh my gosh," over and over again after we smiled and waved and hurried to where we were supposed to meet Andrea.

Oh, fans, you make us feel so much cooler than we really are!

I was also absolutely delighted by a teen fan who brought me a totally pink-decked out Dr Pepper, complete with an adorable hot pink list of why she loves me. I love her, too.

Modeling my Dr Pepper with the (YES OH MY GOSH I KNOW SHE IS HOT, RIGHT?) gorgeous Andrea Cremer. Special thanks to her for sharing her book birthday with mine. It made everything that much better!

And finally, to Velvet and Nieves, who drove six hours straight from Las Vegas just to attend: YOU ARE AWESOME.

I also want to thank the Oceanside Barnes and Noble staff for the event. Their store is consistently amazing, and I have always been so impressed with them. Their events ROCK.

Special, special, specialest thanks go to Steph and Andrea for being willing to stay a couple of extra days after Comic-Con to do this together. I couldn't have imagined a better signing than with two women whose writing I love and whose personalities I adore.

Speaking of impressive people, I know not everyone can attend author events. Stupid geography; it ruins everything. But I hope you've been following along the supernaturally awesome blog tour that Katie at The Mundie Moms put together. It ended yesterday, but you can still read all of the posts by going to the blogs and searching for my name. Book bloggers make such a huge difference for authors, and we appreciate that community so very, very much.

Okay. Whew. How about another Kiersten Stands on a Chair so People Can See Her shot?

Now you are thinking: Wait. Kiersten, you're on a CHAIR and you're still only a head taller than Steph?
And I'm thinking, Yeah, yeah, yeah. Thanks for bringing it up. I KNOW.

If you happen to live in Texas (which is totally a small state, right? Tiny!), I'll be at the Irving Public Library TOMORROW! This is my only trip to Texas this year, which makes me sad, because I love love love the reading community in Texas. Hope to see you there! After that I go straight to Utah, where I will also be doing a couple of events. (Info in the appearances tab, as always.)

And somewhere in there, at some point, ideally I would like to sleep.

A lot.

But this author's dreams? Happy, happy, happy. Thank you again.

27 comments:

Ru said...

HEY! I live around the corner from King's English, I'll totally be there!

(Probably shouldn't have told Internet where I live ... also shouldn't have sounded like a stalker. Things to work on in the future.)

Kiersten White said...

THE INTERNET IS NOW OFFICIALLY STALKING YOU, RU.

Kiersten White said...

(Also, ROCK ON. Be sure to tell me who you are. And do that pose.)

Laini Taylor said...

Oh MAN, wish I could have been there! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful and well-deserved book birthday!

Miss you guys.
:-)

Jessirae said...

Woo Hoo! I was there at the B&N book signing! I had soooo much fun! I didn't mind waiting in line because meeting you was so freaking worth it. After I left, I was smiling all the way home! I told my boyfriend (who I dragged to the signing) that there was nothing that could wipe the smile I had off my face. To be honest, I don't remember uttering a complete sentence to you guys yesterday! I just remember smiling and smiling. I guess I was a little more than Starstruck! :) Anyway, I hope you have more signing like that to come! Yesterday rocked!

Kiersten White said...

Jessirae, you have a GORGEOUS smile. If I had a smile like that, I wouldn't need to talk so much : )

Laini, we wish you could have stayed, too! Someday come and we'll do one together!

prernapickett said...

I just ordered both Paranormalcy and Supernaturally, I can't wait to read them! Congrats on everything, so excited for your success.

Giles Hash said...

My wife got Supernaturally yesterday! I wish I could have been at your release event, but I plan on trekking up to Boulder, CO for your B&N signing in October!

I don't have a good Rupert Giles impersonation, but I'll still say, "hi." And I'll bring a couple books to get signed :D

Jessica Love said...

Dang...I thought I drove a long way from Orange County. Vegas? That's awesome!

It was a great event, and you gorgeous ladies had a very impressive crowd!

pawz waz here said...

I AM SO MAD i can't read the book because the shipping people screwed up and it just got ordered properly so now i sit looking longingly out the window waiting... how long will it take!!! ( i have been scaring delivery guys i bet they were thinking "why is that crazy girl looking at me like she is going to rip that package out of my hands? i better put it on the door step and slowly back away...) it was from kohles WHY WHY must you deceive me kohles WHY!!! (hmmmm... then again i did get some cute clothes i can where when i see u in October...) when will you come beloved book when...

Kathryn (clean teen fiction) said...

Happy Book Birthday to you! That's exciting! I can't wait to read Supernaturally. I just finished re-reading Paranormalcy today to prep myself. lol

Talk about frustrating! I live in North Texas, but I'm actually going on vacation to Cali through Co and UT. I leave tomorrow so I'll miss your TX signing then I'll be close but miss both UT signings by a day. bleep bleep bleeping!

Mercy said...

I'm in the same boat as Kathryn! I live in Texas, but I'm leaving at 6 AM tomorrow to go to Santa Fe. Sad! Something about Irving must just repel me subconsciously. I was going to go to Stephanie Perkins's signing there, but then I got sick at the last moment. :( But I will definitely enjoy Supernaturally! (My mom's using it as a bribe - if I finish my assigned summer reading book then I can read yours!)

Marsha Sigman said...

Irving is 4-5 hours away. Yes, I know those peeps drove 6 but...I can't get away. You must come to Houston. I will have a chair waiting for you or a stepstool, whichever you prefer.

Congrats on your release!!!!

Anita Saxena said...

Congratulations!! Enjoy every moment.

Kate said...

That is amazing! See you in Utah! :(

Kate said...

I meant that to be a smiley face! Sorry about the confusion. . . :) -see it was suppose to be like that smiley face, because I am very, very happy your coming to Utah! :) :) :) :) :) Very happy! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everyone had so much fun!

-Christine from Arizona

Nicole M said...

You were so awesome yesterday! It was great meeting you and hopefully you'll be out here again soon :)

Daisy Whitney said...

Beautiful. Wish I had been there!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

So excited to see you tomorrow in Irving. As of yet, my BFF's daughter Morgan still hasn't figured out that our 4-hour road trip to Dallas is to see you. She's going to be SO surprised! She's read Paranormalcy at least 5 times. Her copy used to be mine - I had to replace it because she wore it out - because she took it everywhere with her. You'll see :) Safe travels to you!

Whirlochre said...

I think you should ditch the chair in future and go with a Peter Pan style wire suspended from the ceiling.

Holy Flying Kiersten, Batman.

LinWash said...

Wow. That sounds like the place to be! But you're coming to my neck of the woods this fall (Naperville). I have that consolation.

Sabrina said...

DARN! I can't go! I'm going on a trip at that time! Congratz on your release! I'm hoping to get Supernaturally soon!

linda said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had an amazing time. :)

Anonymous said...

So sad that is your only trip to Texas! Houston wishes you were here!

Is it sad that I am already eagerly anticipating the final book of the triology? I ready Supernaturally this weekend and although I tried to ready it slowly (because I knew this would happen) I finished it last night and am so sad that I'm done! Guess it's time to re-read Paranormalcy!

Thanks for writing Kiersten. You and your writing voice are too adorable for words!

Melanie Jacobson said...

That was a really fun signing and I enjoyed meeting you. (I was the one in the orange shirt? Remember? REMEMBER? Okay, how 'bout I was the one who was like, "Oh, I get to judge your category for the Whitneys." Yeah, that was me.)

Anyway, it was so fun to bring my teacher friends and introduce them to your guys' books. Yay for additions to classroom libraries!