Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Week That Was

Oh, hi. You look nice today. Did you change your hair?

What's that? I don't look nice? I look like someone ran over me with a steamroller, then packed all of their spare socks in the bags beneath my eyes?

Well, true. Not nice of you to say, but true.

So last week was my birthday. (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, there, I said it, you don't have to! Aren't I nice for letting you off the hook.) Aside from most of my family being sick it was a perfectly lovely week. Never let it be said that I don't know how to celebrate, because this year I really went wild and spent the bulk of the week editing! I know. You wish I had invited you, don't you?

But it wasn't all editing madness. There were trolls:

Courtesy of Ellen in Sweden, who runs Paranormalcy.net and is the sweetest thing ever. The troll looks exactly how I imagined the trolls in Supernaturally! Also CANDY. My kids kept asking when I was going to open the chocolate. I kept saying NEVER. It wasn't for them.

There was also evidence of what happens when your adorable children can shop for you in the children's section of stores:

BUT. BUT. IT CHANGES COLOR IN THE SUN. You are jealous.
You know you are.

And finally, from my ridiculously awesome dad, what do you get the girl who has everything (or at least has enough and will never give you any ideas on what to get her for gifts because really she doesn't need anything else [how could she when she has a color-changing Snoopy shirt??])? Why, you find her a pink stun gun and bedazzle the case, of course.

THAT'S RIGHT, VAMPIRES. I AM ARMED.

(Also, yes, I checked California law and it IS legal for me to own a stun gun. Also the picture is mirror-image, so that's an E on the case. Also maybe I feel a little bit like Veronica Mars and I think I need to go do some private investigating and maybe solve some crimes. Also yes it's put in a super high cupboard where my kids can't reach it. Heck, I can't even reach it...)

There was also a bookstore date with one of my best friends (that was supposed to be for me to pick out a book but turned into me recommending half of the YA section to her), a home-made pizza party (that turned into a Nerf gun war and made me realize I don't have nearly enough foam-dart violence in my life), and finishing my first round of edits on Isadora.

So, you'll have to excuse the lack of blogging because my brain has been knee-deep in revisions. (What, your brain doesn't have knees? THEN HOW DOES IT WALK AROUND WHEN IT WANTS TO GET A BREATH OF FRESH AIR AFTER YOU'VE FALLEN ASLEEP? That's what I thought. I just hate it when my brain forgets to wash its feet before climbing back in through my ears.)

To make it up for you I have a book recommendation: CHIME, by Franny Billingsley. Loved the voice, loved the writing, loved the story. A haunting and fascinating look at family loyalty, guilt, memories, and forgiveness. With bonus bog monsters. Thanks to Gayle Forman for the recommendation! (Pretty much I go to the bookstore now and think, "What has Gayle said to read?" The same applies to Holly Black.)

25 comments:

Jenilyn Tolley said...

Happy late birthday! Those are some awesome gifts! The Nerf war sounds like fun and makes me think that we are strangely lacking in foam-dart violence as well. :)

Kathryn Packer Roberts said...

Cute! My kids just buy me stripy pink socks. =) I'm just jealous that I can't FIT into the kids section. How awesome is that!

My birthday is this coming Sunday, so I better prepare myself. On the calendar it reads: DOOMS DAY. 33, that's me.

Amanda J. said...

Happy Late Birthday!! :D I just got done having a Veronica Mars marathon this last week, so I find it highly amusing that you referenced her when so few people I know have any idea that show ever existed.

And you should think about getting a welcome mat for your brain to wipe its feet on upon return home. They work wonderfully. Also, the Snoopy shirt is awesome. I am jealous.

Have fun on more revisions!

Read my books; lose ten pounds! said...

jealous!

Mys. Jane said...

Happy belated birthday!!! What a totally awesome dad indeed! (My own dad is quite awesome too, but a pretty horrible present picker. =) Good luck with your editing - can't wait to read it someday!

Delia said...

Uh, YES I'm jealous of the Snoopy shirt. Who wouldn't be? It's not likely anyone will be shopping in the kids' section for me unless I have major surgery, though, so I guess I'm out of luck. I'm also jealous that you can do that arching one eyebrow thing I read so much about. And I love how your dad went with the bedazzled E rather than the bedazzled K. Happy birthday, indeed.

Darcy Drake said...

Saying it anyway! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I ALSO have a pink stun gun! Well, it's more like a stun stick. In fact I think the brand is called 'Zap Stick.' Kind of looks like a Wii remote... a Wii remote of doom.

Caroline Grace: said...

As a matter of fact, I did change my hair. Thanks for noticing!

BibliophileKBE said...

Happy late birthday! :-) I'm so jealous of the Snoopy shirt. Also, Nerf wars are awesome, mainly because I'm actually legally allowed to shoot my brothers. They're even better when you have blanket/pillow/anything you can find forts to use. Genius idea: Nerf should make tasers. In multiple colors. I don't know how they would do this, but they really should. Again, happy late birthday! Also, warning, eat that candy before your kids can find it. Because trust me, they will. Kids have built in Candy Radar. I know from experience.

Jessica said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Your pink, bedazzled stun gun is a present that will be hard to top next year!!

Kate said...

Love the troll, want the chocolate, and I am so jealous of the shirt! I would want the stun gun in violet decked out with sapphire and emerald jewels, but that's just me. . . :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, (of course after you said we didn't have to wish you "happy birthday" I felt obligated to do so.) :)
Oh and a random question, shouldn't you have given us the book recommendation before you weren't blogging for a few days so that way we had something to keep our minds on besides the fact that you had deserted us? Now your back and all I can think about is how I'm no longer dying from lack of Kiersten Writes blog humor! I feel like I was lost in the desert for twelve days and was just found and brought back to civilization by a magical non-apocalypse wanting unicorn! :)

Whirlochre said...

Belated birthday greetings.

Shame to hear you got Nerfed.

Anita Saxena said...

Love the pink stun gun and snoopy shirt.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Happy Birthday! I thought Chimes was really fascinating too.

Teddycavy said...

I just got Chime from the library! So far it's fantastic. :]

Jordanne said...

Actually, I did change my hair...got a haircut today and it looks very nice if i do say so myself. Which...I do. Just did.
Happy late birthday, I have to say it anyway, obligated to and all you know, me being your blog stalker...
LOVE THE STUN GUN. Can I just say...my parents will get a what will seem to them a very strange birthday/and or christmas present request.
That chocolate is yours. Eat it with great satisfaction. Those of us with chocolate thieves in the house (aka, mean older sister) are highly unlucky in this.
If Gayle Forman is your book reccommender, you're mine...so off I go to look up "CHIME"...
ALSO....I have a shirt with an owl on it. That says,
"Smart chicks rule"...I win, yes?

LinWash said...

Happy birthday!
I loved Chime too. Franny is a master of the metaphor.

Jill Hathaway said...

Oooh, I heard CHIME was awesome. I'll pick it up the next time I'm at B&N!

Marsha Sigman said...

I want to lock myself in a closet with all that chocolate and your snoopy shirt. Keep the taser, I'm not crazy. Just one of those days!

Wait, on second thought...I want the taser too.

ellen said...

Your dad is just pure awesome! :)

Kirsten said...

Happy birthday! You're just so cool. I love the shirt. I also love the stun gun, because HOLY CRAP IT"S TASEY! Sorry, that's sort of dumb, but Taset was one of my very favorite things about Paranormalcy. Oh, and congratulations on finishing edits! That's so exciting. I wish I could finish edits someday... Only my book sucks so bad I can't read it without cringing.

Ishta Mercurio said...

Happy very-belated birthday!

You week sounds awesome. And I LOVE the stun gun! (You can own one of those? Without a license or anything? I just learned a new thing today.)

May you have many more happy birthdays!

Claire Dawn said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I think that Snoopy shirt is awesome and perfect! I didn't think anything could be more perfect...

And then your Dad! Your family rocks!

(Congrats on edits.)

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Happy belated Birthday!!

CHIME WAS AMAZEBALLS! <333

Nekokat~chan said...

ZOMG!! i want a stun gun!! do you know if theyre allowed in colorado?? and that shirt!! whered your kids get it?

ps. youre not alone. my mom fits in the kids/teens section too :D