Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Some Answers and Some Card Reading

From Hot Stuff.

Here are the answers to some of the questions left in the comments yesterday:

1) Eleven Eleven: No, there is not a large Arabic speaking population in Romania. However, all of the Shoarma stands were run by Lebanese families so there was some Arabic presence. I studied Arabic in school for several years but unfortunately was unable to study abroad due to 9/11. I keep the languages up by reading, speaking, and writing whenever possible. Speaking is the hardest because neither Romanian nor Arabic have a large population of speakers in San Diego. The Internet is great for keeping languages up though.

2) Whirlochre/Marsha: The restaurant was called the "Bella Muzica." We actually stayed in the hotel attached to the restaurant. The food was great, but it did feel strange having tortilla soup in a 700 year-old cellar in Transylvania.

3) Suze: The fortified churches popped up during the Mongol invasions. Like Kiersten said, villagers would gather together and hide in them until the invading army left. All of the fortified churches in the photos I put up were built by Transylvanian Saxons (a German people).

Okay. Feel free to ask any other questions in the comments. I know you are all dying to know what an author's husband feels on any given subject!

And, to round out the post, I will end with an attempt at Cartomancy (as gleaned from the Harry Potter books) using Austrian playing cards:

Hmmm . . . well, it looks like you will all happily talking with your boyfriend/girlfriend when a bunch of soldiers will appear to arrest you. Don't worry though, they will be so impressed by your tambourine skills and your huge dress/tight checkered pants that they'll let you go.



Kristan said...

WHOA, those cards are right! That totally happened to me on the way to work this morning.

Claire Dawn said...

Love the cartomancy. I can see why she married you.


Stacy said...

I forgot to wear my huge dress today? Will my maternity jeans and maternity top be impressive enough?

Katrina L. Lantz said...

LOL! I think you should take that Cartomancy show on the road! You could make dozens of dollars!

So I missed the rules. Are we allowed to ask any question or are these specific to the pictures posted previously?

Because I want to know what it was like to be in the room with Kiersten when she found out she was a NYT Bestselling author in her first week being published!

You two make an awesome blogging couple.

Whirlochre said...

" did feel strange having tortilla soup in a 700 year-old cellar in Transylvania"

I keep coming back to this and smiling.

Emily White said...

That's really neat that you studied Arabic! I had to learn some basic Arabic stuff a few years ago like greetings, their alphabet, numbers, and how to say no.

Michelle Wolfson said...

Do you ever think to yourself, wow, I bet Kiersten could have come up with a better word than "stuff?"

Ishta Mercurio said...

LOL about your cartomancy skills! Were you a gypsy fortune teller in a previous life?