Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Romania: A Photo Essay by Hot Stuff

Since my taking over of Kiersten's blog yesterday was pretty weak, today I am putting up something more substantial. Here are a few pictures from our trip to Romania last summer that I don't think have been posted yet. I love this country (I am biased of course, having lived there for two-ish years) and hope that more people get a chance to visit the area. We spent most of our time in Transylvania, an area that covers about one-third of Romania. Strangely, Transylvania is also home to a fantastic Mexican restaurant. Anyway, back to the pictures.

Bucuresti, the capital of Romania, in Piata Unirii (the city center):

Peles Castle, former residence of the Kings and Queens of Romania:

Alley along the old city walls behind our hotel in Brasov:

Inside the courtyard of Bran Castle (the fake "Dracula" castle):

Sibiu:

A fortified church in Biertan:

A fortified church near a graveyard in Viscri:

Hunedoara Castle, lovingly wrapped in rotting plastic:

An amazing Wallachian Orthodox Christian church:


And finally, the amazing Transylvanian countryside, near Deva:

Romania is one of those places you could spend years in and still not have enough time to see anything. More importantly, you can also buy good Orange Fanta and crepes with chocolate and bananas! Those two things alone are well worth the airfare from the US. And the Shoarma is AMAZING!!!

20 comments:

Emily White said...

What beautiful pictures! Yet another country I want to visit...

Kristan said...

Orange Fanta and chocolate banana crepes?! I AM SO THERE!

Oh, and all that other stuff is pretty too. :P

Shainer said...

Amazing place, and beautiful pictures; I would love to take a trip there. Maybe one day.

Eleven Eleven said...

You can just feel all the history and culture oozing from these pictures. And, of course, Kiersten was lucky to have her own personal tour guide. Can't wait for the chance to follow my RM around his old stomping grounds across the ocean.

Natalie mentioned you speak Arabic. Is there a portion of the Romanian population that speaks Arabic, or do you know Arabic from academic studies and also know Romanian from your time there? Have you been able to keep such an unusual foreign language(s) fresh in your mind here in the states?

You may not be the answering-type blogger, but I ask anyway. Inquiring minds want to know.

Whirlochre said...

Let me guess, the Transylvanian Mexican restaurant was called Taco Draco. Am I right?

Megs said...

Oh wow. I don't know what else to say. I would just DIE to visit Romania! Love, love, love these pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

lotusgirl said...

What a great place to spend a couple good years. I'd love to go there some day.

Marsha Sigman said...

How could they have a good Mexican restaurant? That's just strange.

It is so beautiful, it's almost not real. I would love to visit for like...a year or so.lol

Becky Wallace said...

OH! Evie was in that graveyard, huh?

Dara said...

Pretty! I'm going to have to tell my sis-in-law about these pics--she was adopted from Romania about twenty years ago and her family came from this region (they lived in Cluj-Napoca I think).

Catura said...

Brother! I just discovered that my new PR professor advised the Romanian government, on behalf of Britain's Dept for International Development, on its relations with the publics. I will let her know that you should to be the new face of Romania.

Suze said...

Now, why did the Romanians need to fortify their churches? Is there a story there??? Lovely pictures!

Kiersten White said...

Eleven Eleven--Hot Stuff studied Arabic in school and has both a natural gift for languages and an incredible work ethic. (Without one or both of those, Arabic would be impossible to learn.) He reads regularly in both languages and studies at home on his own to keep up fluency, because he's just awesome like that.

Suze--The Turks! Romania has been a traditional stomping ground for many, many armies, and the fortified churches were outlying villages' only defenses against invaders.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Wow. So totally gorgeous. I must go someday.

Stephanie Perkins said...

I want to go to the fortified church in Biertan! And eat shoarma! Whatever that is, I want to eat it!

Claire Dawn said...

This is why I need to be rich!

Kate Larkindale said...

Best Mexican restaurant I ever went to was in St. Petersberg. Maybe a lot of Mexican emigrated to Eastern Europe?

Ishta Mercurio said...

Oh, Man. Those castles are breathtaking. Now I want to go! Off I go to check how much it costs to fly to Romania...

Weird Vision said...

Surprised you liked the shaorma and not the sarmale (cabbage rolls). :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, I got here by chance looking for pictures. As a romanian, I just want to say I love your pictures, and I'm glad you liked Romania!
if I can add something, for "Eleven Eleven" - no romanians don't speak arabic
as for mexican restaurants - we don't have nor mexicans nor mexican restaurants they are very rare and exotic in Romania, I think you found one of 3 mexican restaurants in the whole Romania lol..I think that one was put in a tourist area especially for foreigners
and fortified churches? Romanians have a long history of wars and fights against ottoman invaders
After every victory against ottomans our kings and princes built churches as a sign of thank you to God, that's why you'll find more churches than palaces in Romania