Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Romania: The Signs

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for a good (read: strange or inexplicable or funny) sign. And Romania did not disappoint. (Also, yes, I went to an incredibly beautiful European country and toured castles and ruins and centuries-old cathedrals and fortified churches and I am posting about silly signs. What else did you expect? Beautiful stuff will come tomorrow. Unless I think of something else ridiculous to talk about first.)

"How was the fishing?"
"Man, it was a load of crap!"

"...inspired a lot of literally and artistic works."
But were they literally artistic? Or just figuratively artistic?

Say what you will about Romania, they do creepy mannequins like nobody's business.

What? No, Hot Stuff and I didn't work in "BinderBubi!" to every conversation we possibly could. Clearly we are more mature than that.

Because nothing says "Delicious!" like "Digestive!"

No Cars, Children Playing Ball, Houses, or Trees Allowed
But no worries, just go fifteen feet down the street and...

Cars, Children Playing Ball, Houses, and Trees are now allowed

Umm, maybe this is fashion? At least they're honest.

Not very stealthy, CIA.

Although I am usually the irreverent one in the family, Hot Stuff saw this and said: "YES! We caught Jesus!"

Dude, they aren't kidding. Not a street sign you'd see here, but very, very applicable.

The world's finest tribute to Coldplay! And that is an area with stiff competition, folks. Coldplace is my favorite Coldplay tribute band EVER.

And finally, my favorite:

And you know what? They're probably right.


Katrina L. Lantz said...

Too cute! And funny! Thanks for the laughs and vicarious living. It is always a thrill to read your blog. My favorite is the sign forbidding children, houses, trees, etc. until fifteen feet down the road. That has got to be the funniest sign set I've ever seen.

Natalie Whipple said...

This is how I know I picked the right friend. My favorite picture from our honeymoon, the picture of took of a road sign:

Playa Ave.

I still giggle about it.

Lindsey Bench said...

I surely hope you bought that swim suit. Looks pretty flattering. Plus, with Stacey's shop down, you'll have to take what you can get when it comes to intimates/swim wear.

Kristan said...


My coworker went to England to visit her family there and came back with those Digestive cookies. Everyone in the office loved them! I was the only one who didn't try.

My funny sign contribution from Colorado (Manitou Springs, to be exact):

"Dude grinding"

(Don't worry, it's just a sign!)

Renee Pinner said...

Today has been a blah day for me so far, but I may just smile for the rest of the day now. Thank you for sharing.

Donna Gambale said...

What a way to capture a country. Love it!

Elle Strauss said...

Funny pictures and great captions!

I've been going into Romania since 1997, and I can tell you that it has changed A LOT since then. The first time I crossed the border they still had armed guards, with machine guns. One of the guys in our car was taking pictures and a woman with a gun came running over, stuck her head in the car window, shouting in Romania, reaching to take the camera away. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. Romanian prisons, especially then, are not on my list of things to do.

Our friends who have lived in Romania for twelve years and Brasov for five were the first Canadian couple to adopt when the world discovered "Ceausescu's Children" rotting away in orphanages.

There is a terrific book called Sophie's Journey about a British travel writer who went into Romania soon after the revolution. On a donkey! It's fascinating. Her name is Sophie Thurnham and I highly recommend it.

So glad you had a good time there. My husband I are going back again in the fall.

Tori [Book Faery] said...

HAHA! Awesome pictures

Stephanie McGee said...

I love Digestives! They're amazing as the sandwich part for a s'more, too. (So I've been told.) Love, love, love them.

So glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the signs. It's amazing what shows up on those sorts of things sometimes.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

my hubby is from uk and he loves digestives. they are good arent they - esp th eones covered in chocolate. :)

sraasch said...


I love Europe.

Did you make your Romanian editors promise to leave the lost-in-translation typos in PARANORMALCY? I think the outcome would be WELL worth the confused Romanians.

Jordan McCollum said...

Digestive s'mores? Holy goodness!! Let me away to my local import shop for some chocolate McVitie's! The original and the best digestive biscuit! Nothing aids digestion like chocolate, after all. And McVitie's made Queen Elizabeth's wedding cake. So you KNOW they're good.

Wikipedia rains on the parade: "The term 'digestive' is derived from the belief that they had antacid properties due to the use of sodium bicarbonate when they were first developed."

(My husband served in Scotland. The same country that produced haggis probably had to come up with digestive biscuits. DH likes both. Go figure.)

Mireyah Wolfe said...

I laughed SO HARD at "We caught Jesus!" because (forgive my soon-to-be-pun) OMGod that was just INSPIRED.

Hot Stuff, I applaud you. *applauds*

Erik said...

Ooh, we have Digestive here too. :)

Josh and Christina Tidwell said...

I love your post! Those signs are hilarious:) Girl you sure know how to find the best signs. I never thought about taking pictures of signs in other countries. I wish I would have now! Can't wait to see more pictures tomorrow!

Megs said...

Yes, we are made of the same mold, you and I (no, I don't mean the fuzzy green kind...). This also was one of my favorite things to take pictures of in Taiwan (er, the funny signs, not mold). They were often misprints or incorrect translations; hence we bought "weak" flour instead of "wheat" flour.

Ebony McKenna. said...

Magic, magic, magic!!!!

Thanks for a gorgeous postcard story.

And yep, I've eaten digestive biscuits before. They're delicious. It's the emetic ones you need to watch out for.

Dara said...

I love those!

Jenilyn said...

I love funny signs. My favorite so far was when we went to a family reunion held in a gorge and there was a sign "Watch for Falling Deer."


Also, the Brasov picture made me think of the book Wildwood Dancing--have you read it?

Kiersten White said...

We tried to find the chocolate Digestives, but sadly couldn't. Still, they were pretty good, funny name aside : )

And clearly I must check out Wildwood Dancing! I loved Sibiu, and I'd be lying if I said that area didn't inspire an entire book in my head...

Sara, I don't have Romanian publishers. YET. Romania, please, I love you! I want to be published in Romanian!

Claire Dawn said...

I collect signs too! Hmm, now I'm tempted to do a sign post :)

Whirlochre said...

Oooh 4 Kiersten posts to catch up on. Lucky me.

Love the blue signs. We europeans do tend to go in for these meaningless nouveau hieroglyphics.

Michikit said...

I never thought at some signs from the point on view of an English speaker. I'm so glad that you liked your trip to Romania. I live here and I didn't had the chance to visit the entire country. Such a shame (^_^)

Rhandi said...

So, all of your pics are fabulous but I have to say how much I LOVE Digestives! They are pretty much my favorite snack on the entire planet. It's 1 am and my stomach is growling just thinking about them. I must go to sleep and hope that I eat some in my dreams! Ahhh!