Friday, February 19, 2010

And DONE!

For now, at least. I declare The Sequel sufficiently First Drafted. Which is a bit misleading, considering what I'll send Erica is actually a sixth draft, but still.

And let me tell you, as hard as it was cutting ten thousand words from PARANORMALCY before subbing it, you know what is even harder? ADDING SEVENTEEN THOUSAND WORDS.

Oy. From now on I'll stick to overwriting, because underwriting is way more work to fix.

Regardless, I think the result works. This book has some of my favorite scenes I've ever written, and Evie, my intrepid narrator, didn't fail me. I love that girl. Anyone who thinks things like, "That did it. Vamp-guy was going down. How hard could it be to beat a corpse senseless?" is more than a little fun to write.

I wish I could tell you more about it, but that's what sucks about writing a sequel before the first book ever comes out. Ah well. Suffice it to say, I love this book, and I hope you will, too. And I really hope my editor does. But in the meantime, I declare this next week the Week of Excessive Sleeping.

I've earned it.

Special thanks, as always, to my invaluable readers: Natalie (my one and only alpha reader), Steph (without whose opinion and expert editorial advice I would never, ever send a book to my editor), Renee, and Carrie. And of course my freaking fantastic agent Michelle Wolfson, who loves the characters as much as I do and helped me tweak what needed tweakage.

And thanks to Hot Stuff, who is always supportive even if he does recommend killing off characters at random, and my two beautiful kids, who did everything they could to try and keep this book from ever being written. Because life's no fun without challenges, right?

And finally, thanks to HarperTeen for buying PARANORMALCY and two sequels, so that I could keep living in Evie's entertaining head. Yay HarperTeen! Yay Editor Erica!

YAY SLEEP.

32 comments:

Amanda J. said...

WOO!! I'm super excited for you! :D Enjoy your much deserved sleep.

Natalie Whipple said...

Woohoo! I'm so happy it's "done." You really do need some sleep. And it IS awesome. It was awesome on the real first draft, so I can't even imagine how amazing it is now. Wow.

You pretend to sleep while I pretend to watch your kids.

Derek Whisman said...

Congrats! I always think authors should celebrate when they finish a whole draft. Ha, even if you celebrate just by sleeping for like 12 hours :P

Kristan said...

"Week of Excessive Sleeping"

I SO WANT IN!

But oh wait, I haven't earned it yet. Sigh. Guess my week is really going to be Week of Excessive Agonizing Over Every Sentence in My New WIP... (Or, if I manage to turn off my internal editor, hopefully it can be Week of Amazing Ninja Robot Writing Speed!)

Enjoy your well-deserved sleep. :)

Abby Stevens said...

I know you must be relieved, Kiersten! Enjoy some good, hard-earned sleep this weekend!

Karen said...

So exciting! I can't wait to read Paranormalcy. :)

Amber Lough said...

Take a long, long rest. Go the zoo, or the beach, or your bed and do nothing.

Congrats!

lora96 said...

Fantastic!

And your confidence in your expert betas gives me hope--I just sent the first three chapters of my draft off to my first beta. Then I felt like I opened fire on a field of adorable fluffy bunnies because I sent a bunch of expository questions about her draft. I am either a dumb reader or a mean beta. Neither one is good.

So, yay for you! I'll probably cry a lot during pre-query editing but there may be hope yet.

Dawn Embers said...

Yay and hoorah for sleep. Congrats on the finish.

I know what you mean about underwriting versus overwriting. My first rewrite is one where I have to practically double the word count. It's such a hassle. Now I make sure to have the initial goals to be much longer in word count.

ChristaCarol said...

'grats! How awesome and now for a breath of relief, right?

Jessie Oliveros said...

Wow, you've been busy this week and with a son that never sleeps! I tell my son it's 'Quiet Time' instead of 'Nap time,' and he plays in his room for two hours while I write. Okay, well that's the theory.

Megs said...

Yay! I'm so excited to continue the story, and interested to see where it all leads. Congrats on finishing the "first" draft at least! :)

Linda G. said...

Congrats on finishing the first draft of The Sequel! And I can't wait to meet Evie & Co. in PARANORMALCY. :)

Donna Gambale said...

Congrats! That's such a satisfying feeling. Enjoy sleeping.

Kim Harrington said...

Congrats! Reward yourself!

Sheri Larsen said...

Told Ya!! Now, if this doesn't call for chocolate and a glass of wine I don't know what does.

Larissa said...

Yay, Kiersten!

Congrats on getting done, and hope you get some sleep.

Stephanie McGee said...

Congratulations!!! Very exciting.

Now if I could fast-forward time to September. You're killing me with these sorts of teases. I want to read the book.

jessjordan said...

My sis is like Hot Stuff. I sent an outline of my WIP off to her and said, "Fix it, please. Choose your own adventure and tell me an ending." Her advice? "Kill someone."

lotusgirl said...

Congrats. Sleep, now you're talking. Time to bask in the glory of rest.

Liam said...

Commence epicness. Which, because it came from my mouth (Fingers? Keyboard?), is now a word.
Anyway. Good for you! Shiny New Project is still not even anywhere near 'on its way'...but considering that I began it last night, I think I'm okay.
Yay for sleep...see, I don't sleep at night. I have chronic insomnia. It sucks SO FREAKING HARD.
But yay you!

Laura Pauling said...

I would much rather overwrite. I find it much easier to chop and combine than add scenes and plots. Enjoy your sleep!

Renee Collins said...

Woo hoo! Way to go, Kierst! It definitely IS awesome, and well worth all the work. :) So awesome, I feel compelled to brag.

*in a sing-song voice*

Neener, neener, neener. I read Kiersten's book. And you didn't yet.

;)

Kiersten White said...

I love it when my betas are smug : )

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! I don't quite know what to do with myself now...

Although the stove is cleaner than it's been in about four months, so that's a start, I suppose.

Brigitte said...

YAY DOING-NOTHING TIME !!

Please use it well! C:

xoxox

looking-glass-fables.blogspot.com

Melanie Avila said...

Congratulations!!

Whirlochre said...

That's great news.

Keep us posted on the post-draft exotic foodie treats intake.

Ryan said...

Adding seventeen thousand words? >.<

I think I would rather go back to the outline phase and rewrite the whole book instead of finding a place in the story to try and add that much instead of trying to find places to add that much without making the book feel padded. Sigh.

And, the terrible thing is, I know I'm probably going to have to do something along those lines with the book I have out to query right now. Is terrible yes?

Katie said...

congrats! What a great feeling :)

Claire Dawn said...

Week of Excessive Sleep + 2 young children = MYTH! But good luck on that!

Congrats on finishing though! Wow! I really can't wait til September!

Myrna Foster said...

Congratulations!

Dominique said...

Congrats. :)