Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tempting Fate

I'd really like Paranormalcy to sell.

I mean, umm, really really.

I've always had a tendency toward superstition. Even though I know it's irrational, it's still there. I thought I'd done everything I could to ensure success--great story, rewrites to tighten the plot, editing until the thing positively sparkled, awesome agent--but I realized there's one thing I haven't done. I have yet to tempt fate.

Unfortunately, most of the big, ridiculous things I could do--extra piercings, commemorative tattoos--are prohibited by my religion. Dang. So far the only thing I've come up with is that, if Para sells, I'll dye a strip of my hair purple. Or pink. Or some other fun-and-very-not-me color.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Public humiliation, non-permanent personal modification, something for the blog, whatever. Leave me a comment if you can come up with a better way for me to tempt fate into letting my book sell.


Marsha Sigman said...

Well....if tattoos and piercings are out....I'm a blank.

Dye one strip of hair purple on one side and the other side a strip in pink. You know you really don't have to do anything, its going to sell.

But the hair thing would still be fun.

Alice Luther said...

Insist you don't believe in fate.
Write a letter (for the blog) to fate.

Dear Fate.
It's over.

Maybe you can tempt a response?

Love the website btw!

Keep up the great work!

Mariah Irvin said...

Why stop at a strip of hair? Mwha ha ha!

Ooh, maybe even after your rich and famous you have to keep your laptop and use it forever. No Macs.

Laura Martone said...

Umm... you could always promise to share the most embarrassing memory from your childhood with your blog readers. Just a thought.

DJ FOX said...

I hope your book sells, too! Fingers crossed. It's such a great concept. I could see it turned into a TV series, honestly.

If it sells, I think you should attempt to chug a bottle of syrup. Is that allowed? =)

Natalie said...

Okay, I say if it sells you need to throw out fear and get a faery door...just keep an iron pot close and don't trust any really good looking people who come to visit.

That would be very fitting for your book, too:)

Tawna Fenske said...

I think you're on to something with this "tempting fate" idea. In fact, I would love to join you (since we share the same fabulous agent and are both in the midst of the nail-biting submission process). Sign me up for the streak of colored hair!

And good luck with Paranormalcy!

Tawna Fenske

~Jamie said...

I just put pink highlights in my hair and they are ADORABLE... if my book sells... I will go all pink! :)

Kiersten said...

Ooh, Laura, that one has potential.

Alice, my letters to The Universe don't seem to be having much effect lately. Too bad.

Mariah--ooh, devious. I must say I'm lusting after those adorable little netbooks...

Marsha--I kind of have this thing for would drive me nuts!

DJ--Oh, yuck! My little brother once drank an entire bottle of syrup as a toddler. I don't even want to talk about the result...

Natalie--NO FAERIE DOORS. Bad, BAD Natalie!

Jamie--Have you seen Laini Taylor's? So adorable.

Tawna! Hey!! Okay, it's a deal--if we sell, we dye a strip of hair!

writtenwyrdd said...

Embarrassing temporary tribal tattoos, goth make up and black hair dye. Ridiculous clothes from the thrift store with non-matching styles and prints. All temporary, and you must go out in public and have your picture taken doing something completely ridiculous like riding an oil rig or a statue. If that doesn't endear you to Luck, nothing will!

megs said...

I definitely think you should do something Twilight or Rob Pattinson mania-ish(?) Like make an obsessive fan video or decorate your living room in Twilight posters. Or even make your blog background devoted to Rob Pattinson for a week. The possibilities are endless...

Kiersten said...

WW--Fortunate favors the bold...I've actually done the goth thing before (for Halloween). Just got compliments, actually!

And Megs, HA! Okay, how's this--dye a strip of my hair and then dedicate a whole post (I cannot bear a whole week, I'm sorry) to the wonder that is Robert Pattinson.

Tawna Fenske said...

One of us should probably tell our beloved agent that she will be required to join us in our hair coloring pledge :)

It's only fair.


Kiersten said...

Oh dear, you're probably right...but I believe you've known her longer : )

Whirlochre said...

Oooh, the purple hair thing please.

And a sombrero.

And a moustache.

Kaotic said...

Oh no, don’t give up on the universe so easily. Use the words "Paranormal" + "Sells" in every post title in your blog for a week. With every reader saying it out loud in their heads, this will become a collective shout out to The Universe! :D Boy, am I brilliant or what!?! ;-)

Carrie Harris said...

Man, I wanted you to sell before, but now I REALLY want you to sell. The pink hair is good, but the Ode to Rpattz is TOO GOOD.

Stephanie Perkins said...

I'm with Carrie, "The pink hair is good, but the Ode to Rpattz is TOO GOOD."


(Except my vote for hair color is purple.)

Are you afraid of heights? Roller coasters? Try tempting fate with something you are AFRAID of!

Ashley said...

I like the dressing up idea. . .a tutu and tiara while shopping at the grocery store would be awesome!