Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Poetry: The Revenge: The Sequel

Someday I hope to have a title with about five : separating ideas. I could probably have added Redux to this one.

Carrie wanted me to write a poem about what it's like working for The Universe. (In case you didn't know, I'm one of its many personal assistants. Sometimes it sends emails through me.) And, in honor of Carrie's fabulous Haiku Book Reviews, I decided to stick to her format.

Secretary to The Universe

My boss, everywhere
Omniscient, Omnipresent
No faking sick days


It's a tough gig. You'd think I'd get a lot of good karmic pay. You'd be wrong.

Jamie wanted a poem about a little girl learning to swim. Interesting anecdote: I wouldn't set foot in the deep end until...far, far too late for me to feel comfortable admitting it on the blog.

Swimming Lessons

"I'm drowning! I'm drowning! Oh, mom, can't you see?"
Darling, the water comes right to your knee.
"But the deep end! It's scary! I simply won't go."
Then the joys of the diving board you'll never know.
"But what if I trip? What if I fall right in?"
Then it's a good thing you now know how to swim.
"I won't do it, I won't, I'll just--hey, there's my friend!"
And off she goes skipping to the scary deep end.


Alrighty then, that concludes our latest adventures in poetry. I'd have to say the best of this batch was the superhero poem. Some day I promise I'll take more than five minutes to write them.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

Really? Scared of the deep end? That was my favorite place!

heidikins said...

Love the swimmery! It reads so much like a Shel Silverstein I half-expected it to end with "what? what's that you say? Today is Saturday? Oh. Goodbye, I'm going out to play".

Great poems, KierstyQ

xox

Whirlochre said...

Skip blog-watching for a couple of days and see what happens — Kiersten has an Awesome.

That'll teach me...

lotusgirl said...

These are fun too. I enjoy your poetry riffs. Thanks!

Carrie Harris said...

I agree. They're all good, but the superhero poem is made of awesome.

~Jamie said...

ahhh! I LOVE it! It's fabulous! You need adorable little drawings to go with it all!!!

Megs said...

I love the swimming one. I think you've captured a very common feeling there!

My favorite line in the haiku is the last one. No kidding!

Renee Collins said...

I've said it once, I'll say it again: you have a gift for humorous poetry/song. :)

JaneyV said...

The awesome continues right into the deep end and on into the Universe.

Lindsey Bench said...

you've really out done yourself this time.

writtenwyrdd said...

If you'd used redux you could have added parenthesis! "Poetry: The Revenge: The Sequel (Redux)"