Friday, June 5, 2009

Park City: Zombie Apocalypse

Hot Stuff and I had been looking forward to this trip for months. For the first time in the five years since we had kids, we'd be spending more than eighteen hours away from them. Together. It was going to be heaven.

Or so we thought...

We couldn't believe the deal we found on a gorgeous lodge just outside of Park City, Utah. Two nights for the price of one--it was like they were luring us out there or something. We pulled off the freeway to a fantastic view. The lodge, dark gray and weathered to perfection, stood out in the broad green valley overlooking a reservoir. Driving around, we found the underground parking.

There were no cars.

"That's funny," we mused to each other. I wondered if we were in the right place, but there were no other parking areas, so this had to be it. We unloaded our suitcase and got in the elevator.

The doors opened to reveal a rustic, tastefully decorated lobby area, all leather and natural woods. It was easy to picture this place on a cold night, filled with readers, talkers, drinkers, their cheeks still holding the day's chill in rosy spots. But apparently mid-May didn't have the same lure; no one was there.

Two women, a blonde and a brunette, stood at the desk, speaking in nervous, low tones with each other. They didn't ask for our names when we walked up--clearly they had been expecting us. As they entered our information, they shot us darting looks. There was something strange in their eyes. Guilt? Why would they feel guilty?

They handed us our key cards and bid us a good stay.

"What about breakfast?" I asked. The lodge had advertised a continental breakfast, but with how dead things looked around here I suspected that was only a winter feature.

"Your breakfast," the blonde whispered. I frowned. Funny how I'd never noticed that your and you're sound just the same when people say them.

The brunette shook her head, giving the blonde a sharp glare. "We don't offer breakfast in the off season," she finished.

No wonder they looked guilty. Maybe the lodge wasn't such a good deal, after all. There was nothing to be done about it though. We found our room. The entire place was eerily quiet--maybe it livened up at night.

To be continued...

6 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

My mother lived in Park City for a while as a kid. The main ski trail runs about where there house was, i think. I was only there once in the 70s but it was so gorgeous!

Crazy McWife said...

Wow. I love it! I want more!

Lindsey Bench said...

I can't take the suspense!!

Kasie West said...

Creepy! Are you breakfast? And where are all the people? Da da daaaaaaa!!! (that's my three drum beat of doom in case you couldn't tell).

sraasch said...

In a city near mine, there's a zombie walk tonight. Apparently people get all dressed up like zombies and walk. Like zombies. To what end? I have no idea.

Whirlochre said...

I'm biting my nails worrying if you're both going to make it through...