Thursday, June 25, 2009

Park City Zombie Apocalypse: Part Four

(You'll want to read in chronological order. Part One here, Part Two here, and Part Three here. Sorry for the lack of timely posting. Family in town + hyper demanding and clingy 3-year-old = tired Kiersten. If it makes you feel any better, I actually had zombie nightmares last night for the first time ever. I blame this story and Carrie Harris.)


"I know they're just up here somewhere," I said to Hot Stuff as we slowly drove up the winding mountain road. Lush green trees on either side obscured the view, making it impossible to see what was coming around each curve. Huge dump trucks kept passing us, heading down the canyon. I hadn't realized there was so much construction in this area.

Suddenly we broke out of the trees. On our right, set off the road several hundred yards, was a series of small, industrial looking buildings. Hot Stuff slowed. "Is that the mine?"

"I don't know. I haven't been here since high school." We both frowned, staring. When I came the mine was a big tourist attraction. These buildings were surrounded by massive chain-link fences topped with razor wire and--electrified? Really?

"It looks like that's a working building or mine or whatever it is." He was right--the parking lot was full. Even though it was only late afternoon, huge flood lights illuminated the entire complex. Several of the big dump trucks we had seen on the way were lined up. Men in biohazard suits pulled bulky things out, then dragged them along the ground into the building I was fairly sure housed the old mine.

"What on earth?" Hot Stuff pointed, squinting. "Are they pulling out--"

He stopped the car and we both stared, stunned, at the bulky shapes we now recognized.

Bodies.

7 comments:

Whirlochre said...

I'm just praying you and Hot Stuff know some kung fu...

Lindsey Bench said...

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

heidikins said...

What?!?! You're kidding!!

xox

Little Brother said...

Mother Dearest and I actually stopped at the Zombie Apocalypse Bookstore when we went to the wine festival.

Carrie Harris said...

I helped give you nightmares? Sheesh. I feel bad.

Bad Carrie, no biscuit.

Jessie Oliveros said...

You are only allowed to drag the suspense on for one more post.

sraasch said...

Dun dun duuunnnnn

Suspense!