Friday, May 29, 2009

The Punktuations! Present:

My imaginary band, The Punktuations!, has been going through something of a folk phase lately. Luckily I am visiting home and was able to draft my adorable and talented and adorably talented little brother to accompany my latest craziness. He fits perfectly in the band, since he is a total punk. A jazz-loving, trumpet-playing, straight-A-getting punk.

Since I couldn't just upload the track I had to make a slideshow. This is from our Punktuations! photo shoot. Stephanie couldn't make it this time, but someday soon she will.

This is a little song I wrote to express the heartache that comes from trying to bridge the great divide.




Math + English = Heartbreak
by Kiersten White
Accompanied by Mr. Matt

My love for you runs deeper than rivers and oceans
You hush me and blabber about formulas and quotients.
Baby, I know you promised, but things aren’t any greater
Sometimes I’d like to smash your graphing calculator.

I thought the worst type for me would be a star athlete
But no, the real heartbreakers are sweet nerdy mathletes.
English people and math people should never date
No matter the attraction, their love just won’t equate.

You say that our love needs more strict parameters
Oh baby please sing to me in iambic pentameter.
I want to be your inspiration, long to be your muse
You just want to find that triangle’s hypotenuse.

I speak of love in metaphors—you’re my sun, my earth, my sky
You give me quadratic equations as proof our love won’t die.
Shakespeare is my idol, his words are like the dawn
Convex curves on graphs, well, they kinda turn you on.

I thought the worst type for me would be a star athlete
But no, the real heartbreakers are sweet nerdy mathletes.
English people and math people should never date
No matter the attraction, their love just won’t equate.

A line might go on forever, without any end
Please quit speaking geometry and flirt with me instead.
The glory of math, you tell me, is an answer for anything
English is far better—just make up your own meaning.

I thought the worst type for me would be a star athlete
But no, the real heartbreakers are sweet nerdy mathletes.
English people and math people should never date
No matter the attraction, their love just won’t equate.

22 comments:

Stephanie Perkins said...

You did NOT just sing about smashing graphing calculators!!! You and Matt are so incredibly awesome and talented. I'm dying over here!

LOVE. IT.

(Okay, I'm really feeling the need to step up here. SOON. Soon-ISH. Soon-ish PROBABLY.)

Natalie said...

I'm totally throwing in the towel. Not only am I not that funny, I'm also a chicken.

That was wonderful. Can I just get backstage passes to the concert? Sigh.

sraasch said...

As if it hasn't been proven enough before, You = AWESOME.

Mariah Irvin said...

Sweet! I love your songs!

Renee Collins said...

Ah yes, a song I can truly relate to! Love it, Kierst. :) I seriously think you have a knack for humorous songwriting/poetry.

P.S. Your brother looks nothing like you! And yet, you make an adorable pair. :)

Kiersten said...

Steph--No worries, you're with us in spirit ; )

Natalie--Of COURSE. We're touring together, remember?

Sara--No, YOU = Awesome!

Mariah--Thank you!!

Renee--Thanks! And yeah, five kids in my family and none of us look the same.

Whirlochre said...

If you keep this up, you'll have Joni Mitchell running for the hills.

No, wait a minute, she did that in 1971, didn't she?

Sarah Laurenson said...

How awesome is that? Well, pretty wonderfully awesome. And very funny.

And here I am with my degree in physics writing children's books. You just explained why the two halves of my brain are having so much trouble with each other.

Little Brother said...

Sorry, Kierst. B+ in Precalculus.

Carrie Harris said...

Um... did you know that I'm a statistician? Really. Apparently, I break my own heart.

It's okay, Natalie. I'll do the singing. ;)

Lauren Emily said...

It hard living in the shadow of such an accomplished sister...
I endure it well.

Megs said...

Loved it. You really do have a talent for these songs and poetry. I wonder what kind of a market you can find for that? ;)

writtenwyrdd said...

Hilarious--and brave.

fairyhedgehog said...

Very funny!

pacatrue said...

Very well done. Next time, you need to get him to sing harmony on the chorus.

Robin S. said...

This is really cute!

Robin S. said...

P.S. Love the pictures, too!!

McKoala said...

Very funny! Love the photos, all serious and band-like!

Aerin said...

Chris E. just put up MATH problems - MATH - on a writer's blog:

http://chriseldin.blogspot.com/2009/06/is-sarah-smarter-than-fifth-grader.html

I'm sending people back your way for a dose of anti-mathness. We're WRITERS, for god's sake.

Kiersten said...

Ha, thanks, Aerin. Seriously, WHAT is Chris thinking?!?

~Jamie said...

OMG LAUGHING SO hard I AM CRYING!!!

HAHA My husband is a computer programmer... and I write about superheroes... so I feel your pain! It's AWESOMENESS!

JaneyV said...

I, like Sarah, (exactly like Sarah actually) have a dual personality dueling for dominance within. Basically I'm schitzo.

Your brother is adorable and I love his gorgeous hair. I so wish I was a natural reddy. And your song is wonderful too.

I throw in the towel. I will stop auditioning to be guest lyricist. You've obviously got that whole thing covered.

I like your voice too!