Friday, May 22, 2009

Not Exactly the End

I sent Paranormalcy to Agent Michelle last week.

I've been horribly nervous ever since.

Why? Well, when you first get The Call, it's amazing. AMAZING. I still think about my The Call and get all giddy sometimes. But the thing is, when that agent calls you, they're calling for the book they just read.

What about the next one? What if they don't like it? What if you went from third person to first, and you added way more humor, shifted the age down, and added paranormal creatures? What if they read that second manuscript and instead of being just as excited think, "Huh. Well, that's a bit of a let-down."

Yes, even having an agent you can get very, very paranoid and stressed out.

And I was more than a little worried because I knew that Agent Michelle wasn't a fan of vampire and werewolf books. While Paranormalcy definitely isn't a vampire or werewolf book, it happens to have both of those in it. Along with faeries. And a mermaid. And some trolls, redcaps, gremlins, and a huldra.

(I know, you don't even know what a huldra is. Neither did Evie, don't worry about it.)

However, my hope was that I put a unique enough spin on all of this that it would work for people interested in those things and for people who are sick of them.

Fortunately I'm feeling much better about things today, since Michelle emailed me to let me know she was halfway through and loving it. Which, given her predisposition against supernatural creatures, is a Very Good Thing.

Here's the other thing I love about my agent. She signed me for Flash, but she also signed me for potential. She was just as excited about the promise I had as a writer as she was for the initial manuscript.

Warm. Fuzzies.

I love that my agent represents not just one book, but my whole career. Because trust me, the stress doesn't end when you sign. It's a huge, wonderful, amazing success, but it's just the beginning.

12 comments:

Renee Collins said...

There's something about that book of yours, Kiersten, that makes people email you halfway though to wax rhapsodic. ;)

Kiersten said...

Tee hee. Thanks, Ren ; )

Natalie said...

Definitely warm fuzzies. And, just for the public—TOLD YOU SO.

Whew, okay, out of my system. For now.

Duluk said...

So this doesn't have anything to do with anything important, but I just wanted to say I like that you spell faery (or faerie) with the e and not the i (or with the e and the ie :)). I noticed it in something else of yours I read somewhere some time. Maybe it's just my ignorance but I don't see many of us around these days spelling it that way. It's so much cooler. ;)

Oh, and I'm glad things are going well in the wild world of publication.

Kiersten said...

Natalie--You told me so.

Duluk--Thanks ; ) I went with a lot of traditional faerie mythology, so figured I might as well spell it fun, too ; )

Megs said...

What a fun and exciting beginning. And of course she is loving Paranormalcy. That's a no brainer! ;)

Carrie Harris said...

Hey, wait a second, Natalie! I told her so too! We're telling her the same things. And we're right!

Neiner neiner neiner. ;)

Mariah Irvin said...

She'll love it- I know I do!

cindy said...

so exciting! congrats, kiersten!!! =D

Christina Farley said...

Very exciting. I can't wait to read the book myself! Get it on the bookshelves!

JaneyV said...

Paranormalcy is FANTASTIC! I'm happy for you that you have found someone who will nurture your career. I'd say you lucked out but I don't think luck had anything to do with it. She obviously knows talent.

jessie said...

I think of all your books, Paranormalcy intrigues me most. Good luck.