Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lunatic

I'm at my family's house. It's wonderful. I was, however, a little busy this weekend. I think everyone worried about me a bit. After all, I sat at the computer and talked to myself for hours on end...

But wait! I'm not certifiable, I promise. I've finally learned the trick to line-editing.

Read your book out loud.

The whole thing. Just sit there and read every word, every sentence, out loud. Not only do you not glaze over any areas because you're familiar with them, but you also get a feel for the rhythm of what you're reading. If you say a sentence and without thinking switch two words around, odds are that's how they should be written.

Anyway, it works for me, and I feel really confident about the shape Paranormalcy's in. And now, as a well-earned break from staring at the screen and mumbling to myself, Hot Stuff and I are going away. I'll be MIA until Thursday. I've no doubt you'll do just fine without me.

Besides, if you get too lonely, you can always just sit here and read my posts out loud to yourself. And then tell me all of the mistakes I make.

9 comments:

Whirlochre said...

This is my acid test — it is readable outloudable?

I've had some otherwise OK paragraphs fail this test, and, as you say, it's very often to do with the rhythm of it.

Have fun with the fam...

JaneyV said...

Have a lovely time away. I love the term readable outloudable. Whirl should trademark that straight away.

sraasch said...

Have fun with Hot Stuff!! You've earned some vaca-time!

Litgirl01 said...

I tell my students to do that! It works great!

Megs said...

Yay for getaways!!

Enjoy it! :)

I love the reading-out-loud-test. It's worked best for me.

Duluk said...

Donna Tartt agrees with you about reading aloud. She reads everything she writes out loud. She told me one time she was having work done on her house and the guys there must have thought she was crazy as she paced around her home reading aloud to herself. :)

(I used to work in a bookstore where we had lots of author signings)

cindy said...

oh yeah! the out loud round is a MUST! yay for you for doing that! it is helpful with dialogue and awkward or rough prose. amazing how you don't catch some things otherwise. have fun at home, kiersten!

Carrie Harris said...

I do this all the time. Which has made me reconsider my desire to get a laptop so I can sit in the backyard and watch the kids while I write.

But then again, everyone around here thinks I'm nuts anyway.

Lauren Emily said...

you were a creeper all weekend. creeper.