Monday, May 11, 2009

Blackbringer: A Review, OR, Blackbringer: Just Go Buy It Right Now

In reviewing Laini Taylor's Blackbringer, I could go on forever about how, if you want to figure out how to do a brilliant omniscient third POV, start studying it now.

Or I could talk about her enchanting and lush world building, and how this was the first fantasy book I've loved in a long, long time.

Or I could talk about her wonderful characters, starting with her knack for names. Seriously, she has the best names!

Or I could talk again about how when she switches the character she's focusing on the narration changes to reflect their tone of voice (even though it's third person) and it works so, so well.

Or I could talk about how I really like Laini and I was worried to read her book in case it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be (because I'm a ridiculously critical reader these days) but it turned out to be nothing but a delight the entire way through and I highly recommend it to anyone, especially if you need a gift for any child 11-15 (it's entertaining enough for adults but completely age appropriate).

Or I could talk about her deft plotting, and how she had enough questions and mysteries to keep it moving but also gave you answers along the way so it never got frustrating.

And I'll definitely talk about how it's out in paperback now so you have no excuse not to get it, and the sequel comes out in September, and a YA book about kissing comes out in October, and I will buy each and every thing Laini Taylor ever writes.

And you should, too.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I think I'm convinced...like her pink hair wasn't enough:)

Aerin said...

Oh gosh you're bossy.


Okay, headed to bn.com now....

Mariah Irvin said...

I guess it's decided then. To the book store, away!

Laini Taylor said...

Thank you, Kiersten!
:-)
:-)
:-)
This is lovely.

JaneyV said...

Wow it sounds amazing. I've just made a little room for a new book. I wonder if I can get it here.