Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Potty Humor

Let me preface this by saying we do not use potty humor in our house. At all. Ever. Bodily functions are entirely off limits when it comes to jokes, and I can honestly say my kids have never heard us make any scatological jokes. (I have been known to sing about poop, but that's only while changing diapers. I've got to stay sane somehow.)

My two-and-a-half year old son, Dojo, likes to play with language. He thinks it's funny to choose a song or poem and insert a sound into every word--for example, singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but ending each word with the letter K. "Twinklek Twinklek Littlek Stark! Howk Ik wonderk whak youk arek." So on and so forth. He thinks it's hilarious. I think it's amazing that at such a young age he's playing with words and sounds.

The other day he and Nayna were running around with laundry baskets on their heads, pretending to be robots (R2-D2 and the robot from Yo Gabba Gabba). "Nayna," Dojo said, "You're--R-Poop D-Poop!" He busted up laughing and looked at me with his patented I can get away with anything grin. "But we only go poopy on the toilet, huh Mama?"

My son invented potty humor.

Heaven help me.

18 comments:

Captain Hook said...

Little boys will always come through :)

Kasie West said...

It was bound to happen sometime. He is a boy. I had three daughters first, but daughter number 3 thinks potty humor is hilarious no matter what 'serious mommy' looks I give her.

Carrie Harris said...

It's inevitable. I learned this the day that my son started calling everyone poopie head. When I told him not to say that, he responded: "But Mom! It's natural!"

Yep. That's my kid.

Nick said...

Somebody has to take over for Mike Rowe.

Kelly H-Y said...

That's hilarious!

Natalie said...

Yeah, those boys...I've had way more in my house than I'd like. Nick and Ben kind of conspire against me. Sigh.

sraasch said...

Oh boys...funny how they find toilet humor no matter how much you try to keep it out.

Whirlochre said...

No matter how you try to avoid it, the toilet seat will lift from the porcelain like an inverted jaw and peck mercilessly at your potty-free ahem wherewithal.

Get powering up the Spine Decurler now — they is both going to be big (ole poop) trouble...

Mariah Irvin said...

Potty humor prevails!

(Not that I'm for it, or anything...)

Megs said...

I second Carrie's comment - guess it was bound to happen at some point...at least in general he has a good sense of humor! ;)

T. Anne said...

LOL, your son is all boy. I know I have three.

Sara said...

My son is four and a half and he has one punch line right now that he uses for every joke he attempts (knock-knock, what do you call..., etc.): "And it farts on your head!"

It rarely makes any sense but it just kills him every time.

cindy said...

hahah! good luck with that! they just naturally love poop and farts and underpants and all that nonsense. it's very odd--but let's hope merely a stage they go through.

of course, my hub is turning 40 and still giggles like a boy with bathroom humor. =p

THANK YOU for linking to my cover, kiersten. see you on saturday!! xo

Kim said...

I think Dojo is awesome and so very clever. It's these kinds of memories that keep us going when they turn into teenagers!

I have some awesome stories about my kids and it warms my heart!

Laini Taylor said...

I'm just amazed the grownups in your house manage to refrain from potty humor! We don't even have kids around (yet) and we totally make potty jokes . . . Um, I mean, we don't. Oh no. Of course we would never do such a thing. It's so undignified!

:-)

Sun Up said...

R-Poop D-poop

that was...hilarious
and amazingly clever for a two year old. I have a one year old myself..she add's 'T' on the end of everything. She just learned down to pronounce the letter so everything ends with a 'T'

"MommeeT!"

Kiersten said...

Laini--it has more to do with how I grew up. There were two f-words. The one you all know, and then the one for passing gas. Really, to this day I can't say it, and I can't hear it without cringing.

And Sun Up, I think he's very clever ; ) Aren't kids funny? I love how excited your daughter is over her new letter.

writtenwyrdd said...

The saying "boys will be boys" didn't come from nothing. So funny, though. And it seems like calling other people "poopie heads" is a common thing. I've heard it over and over from various kids.