Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Kiersten Writes Year in Review

Wow, so, 2008? Almost gone.

Rather than give you my resolutions, since most of the things I want to happen this year are beyond my immediate control, I thought I'd do a retrospective. And since I didn't start this blog until March, that makes it even easier.

March: Started Kiersten Writes so I could stop talking about trying to get published on my family blog. Had about three readers.

April: Discovered Evil Editor. Learned how to write a decent query AND made lots of delightful writer friends. Figured out there were more online resources to find agents and learn about the industry than I had ever realized.

May: Turned 25. Quite an accomplishment, right? Tried to start writing a new book, BW, while still querying my first novel, Keeping King Tut. First published story came out.

June: Wrote out the first scene of Flash to entertain my readers (now about a dozen!) while I was on vacation in Mexico. Could not stop writing. Forgot about Tut and BW. Plotted during the whole trip, wrote like a fiend when I got home. Finished the first draft of Flash at the end of the month.

July: Edited Flash. Put together a writing group. Wrote my query.

August: Queried. Visited home. Met the other MoMos in person. Got pregnant.

September: Got rejected. Pregnancy turned out to be ectopic and nearly killed me. Hits to the blog spiked; figured people like massive internal bleeding. Not willing to do it again, no matter how much it improved my stats.

October: Was sure universe owed me and would get an agent immediately. No one called. Started writing Dust.

November: Noticed an agent named Michelle Wolfson; thought I'd give her a shot. A couple of hours later got a partial request. A week later got a full request. Two days later got an agent. Best. Phonecall. Ever. Edited Flash with Michelle's suggestions and put together a cover letter. Built a website.

December: Still working on Dust; got an idea for a book related to Flash. Couldn't get it out of my head. Wrote it. All. Edited it. Found myself still trying to process and deal with the events of September, but happy and looking forward to what the new year will bring.

So there you have it. Of course, I left out how wonderful Hot Stuff was, how adorable my kids were, so on and so forth. But this is Kiersten Writes, after all.

Instead of setting goals, I'm going to wish the same for you that I hope for myself: a happy, healthy, and productive new year.

28 comments:

Natalie said...

Man, what a year! I'm glad that I could become your friend this year. It's been incredible to watch you through all this. You're strong, beautiful, and oh so talented:)

Kiersten said...

Ah, shucks ; ) I just left a mushy comment on your blog, too! Not quite as mushy though, maybe I'll have to go and add stuff...

Renee Collins said...

I personally think that 2008 will go down in literary history as they year the MoMo's got together. Truly, an epic moment. :)

Have a good New Year's Eve, Kierst. Party hard! (And by party, I mean crack open a few cans of Dr. Pepper and chow a whole bag of M&Ms.)

Kiersten said...

Renee, you're probably right. About the literary history AND my New Year's plans ; )

Jill Wheeler said...

It's amazing how much can happen in one year. Cheers with the aforementioned Dr. Pepper.

BBJD said...

You've done more in a few months than I've done in my whole life. Good for you! (Yeah, I'm jealous, but I'm still glad for you.)
I hope your 2009 goes even better. Fewer tears, fewer scares and much more laughter and joy.

Have a Happy New Year!

Bevie

P.S. Desktop wishes Laptop a Happy New Year, too.

Whirlochre said...

Glad to have bumped into you, Kiersten.

As I recall, I first encountered you as a guest partygoer on EE's 2nd anniversary blog in April.

First impressions? This girl is crazy. Then you posted up a poem about your bra and I was hooked. Here's the link...

http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com/2008/04/college-poetry.html

And hey, before I'm miscast as a slavering letch interested only in teenage girls' bras, it soon became apparent I'd bumped into someone with exceptional talent and I was powerless not to stick around. The killer eyebrow routines were a bonus.

I remain thrilled by the story of Flash so far. Followed it live and continue to wait for the best possible resolution.

So — here's to an awesome 2009 to thee and thine.

JaneyV said...

Crikey you packed a lot in! Glad the positives outweighed the horrid negative (it was a real stinker), numerically anyway.

I think the founding of the Momos will go down in history. You should mark the day every year. We can have a blog party.

looks like 2009 is stacking up to be fabulous. As I said over at Natalie's I have a radar for good times and it's pinging of the scale in Momoland I tell ya!

Have a wonderful New Year Kiersten - you and your adorable family!

Hugs

Jane
xxx

Kasie West said...

Great year for you (minus the whole dying thing). I'm sure even without goals that 2009 will be even better.

Kiersten said...

Isn't it, Jill?

Bevie, you sweetheart, I have a hunch you've done far, far more than this in your life! And Laptop was touched that someone actually remembered him.

Whirl, really, you thought I was crazy? This coming from the king of the nonsensical? I don't think I was that odd at the party...still, glad you started visiting, because then I discovered your blog as well, and hey, I enjoy you. Immensely. And here's to someday being able to say, "I knew [him/her] when!" And of course still knowing each other at that point, right?

Janey, you too ; ) You rank up there with my wonderful blog friend finds!

Kiersten said...

Sheesh, I've got the feeling that I'm about to start blubbering and trying to kiss everyone, bawling about how much I love you. And I won't even have the excuse of being drunk, because we all know that's never happened.

Kiersten said...

Heh, yeah, Kasie. Let's hope, right?

Sarah Laurenson said...

Aren't you supposed to kiss everyone on New Year's eve?

Wonderful time reading your blog and sharing in your journey this year. Looking forward to the next installment.

Happy New Year! And book contracts in 2009!

Kiersten said...

Oh, Sarah, you just reminded me of a great New Year's Eve story...which may or may not get posted, considering it makes me look severely unbalanced...

Anyway, I love having you around, thanks for being a bloggy friend ; )

BBJD said...

"Oh, Sarah, you just reminded me of a great New Year's Eve story...which may or may not get posted, considering it makes me look severely unbalanced..."

Come, come, Kiersten. Nothing wrong with being unbalanced on New Year's Eve - providing you're not driving and Hot Stuff is right at your elbow. (grin)

As another one who has never been drunk can tell you, it doesn't take alcohol to be accused. Just a spirit of derry do and fun.

So, what's the story?

sraasch said...

Here's to 2009. May it kick 2008's already-retreating butt and give you far more good things to reflect on.

writtenwyrdd said...

I hope you forgive me for hating you for being so darned productive, Ms. K.

I hope the new year brings a book sale and many more good things to you.

Kiersten said...

BBJD, I'll think about it...

Sarah, amen!

WW, if you REALLY want someone to hate, go check out Natalie's year-end stats. Five books, fifteen more in the planning stages, two WIPs. Might as well spread the hate, right? ; )

H-Duck said...

What a year you've had! I'm glad your still around. See you next year.

Natalie said...

Thank you for telling people to hate me? lol.

Kiersten said...

Me, too, H-Duck. Me too.

Natalie, as far as productivity goes, you are FAR more deserving of hate than I am. You should be proud!

Robin S. said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, Miss K!

lotusgirl said...

What an exciting year. So many monumental things going on in your life in less than 365 days.

I hope the new one is marvelous! Stay healthy in the one ahead, K?

It has been so nice getting to know you!

Kiersten said...

Thanks, Robin!

And thanks as well, Lotus. It's always nice "meeting" new people ; )

Stephanie and Co. said...

I've enjoyed reading about your author journey. Good luck as it continues!

Megs said...

Great Post, and wishing the same for you! :)

Lauren said...

I've posted a couple of times...fairly sporadically. I've enjoyed reading about your journey as an author. You've definitely had a very busy/crazy/full year. I hope your 2009 goes fantastically!

Kiersten said...

Thank you, Lauren!