Monday, September 15, 2008

I Want

The other weekend we were driving through downtown San Diego. We live in a popular area for homeless people--they'll never freeze to death or overheat, and people are wealthy and generally generous. So, it was no surprise to see a dirty and disheveled man standing on the side of the road holding up a sign made out of cardboard.

What was surprising is what the sign said. None of the standard, "Homeless and hungry, please help," or "Homeless Vet," or even "Help--homeless--mother of four." No, this guy was far more honest. His sign said:

I want a harley.

First I laughed. Then I wondered if maybe he got more money for sheer creativity. Then I wondered what I would put on a sign if I were standing by the side of the road.


I want a minivan.

But let's be honest--no one wants a minivan. I want a just plain mini, of the Cooper variety. I need a minivan, unfortunately. So that's out.


I want a house.

But even people in really nice cars rarely have those on hand. And that's one of those things that will happen eventually, regardless of the generousity of strangers.

I know!

I want an agent and a three book deal.

Sweet. I'm gonna go make my little cardboard sign RIGHT NOW. I'll let you know how it goes.


Renee Collins said...

I'll join you on that corner with my sign. Who could resist us?

Natalie said...

Make sure you stand right outside a publishing house.

cindy said...

yay, three book deals!!! =DDD

sending you good vibes , kiersten!

Kiersten said...

lol, I actually thought of you when I wrote that, Cindy!

Thanks ; )

And yeah, Renee, we could be a package deal.

Spinch said...

My ambitions are far more modest.

I want a sandwich.

Kiersten said...

See now, stand on the side of the road with that sign, and I'll bet you'd get one, Spinch.

Lauren Emily said...

"I want a husband"

No...that would be a little too scarily effective I think. Nevermind.

Kiersten said...

ESPECIALLY in Provo. Don't do it, Lauren.

Megan said...

Ha ha. I think I like the sandwich idea.

freddie said...

Perfect, Kiersten. I'm going to make one that says


writtenwyrdd said...

I'd have to have a sign that said "I want to be alone." (There's a reason I write, yannow?) Or, here's an even better one for me: "I want more cats. They might smell and have bad attitudes but they don't spend my money."

JaneyV said...

I want access to my own computer without having to listen to anyone moaning. And when I get it I DON'T want to find any chocolate bar wrappers and crumbs next to it.
Thank you!

Oh and I'd really like to be a better writer too.

I feel like I'm praying now…

~Jamie said...

this made me smile :)

Rachel said...

So, are you saying this is how you actually did it? :)