Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An Ode to Sleep Deprivation

The age old dilemma: to write or to sleep?
If I go to bed now, will my stories all keep?
If I stay up too late, on the morrow I'll weep
Let's be honest, I'm buzzing, I'm in too deep.

I've read about zombies, they don't sleep a wink
Maybe they're onto something, I think
Of course, now my parenting really does stink
as do the dishes piled up in the sink.

My bed is singing her sweet siren song
My characters screaming, don't leave us for long!
Surely these passions can't both be so wrong,
but alas I'm too tired for any more rhymes.


Renee Collins said...

Put this to music and you've got a chart topping song right there.

lol, Kiersten. That is one sweet poem.

My favorite lines are:
"Of course, now my parenting really does stink. As do the dishes piled up in the sink."


Natalie said...

You must have been up late. When I saw 54k this morning I about spit out my cereal. Once you finish you better sleep for a week.

Kiersten said...

Thanks, Renee. That line's actually something of a fib though--Hot Stuff, in all of his wonderfulness, did the dishes last night.

And yeah, I wrote until twelve or so--then laid wide awake in bed for another hour with the story rumbling around in my head.

And once I finish I'm doing an immediate edit. I can't help myself. But I promise I will start going to bed at nine.

Whirlochre said...

Early to bed
Early to rise
But don't fall asleep —
write, if you're wise.

I actually sat in the greenhouse writing yesterday, until a wasp stopped play.

Kiersten said...

lol, Whirl, yours is better.

Danged wasp. Or did you mean WASP? Did a white, anglo-saxon protestant burst in, demanding you stop?

Natalie said...

Ahhh! WASP! That made me laugh for real.

Renee Collins said...

Gotta hate those WASPs.

Renee Collins said...

By the way, on your Flash word counter: "Who needs sleep when you've got caffine?"

True words. True words, indeed.

Oh, and 54,000 words. Let me just repeat: OH SNAP!

Kristan said...

Lol first of all: love the poem!

Second, I just re-read the paragraph you wrote about Flash on your website, and OMG IT SOUNDS AWESOME!! It needs to sell so I can read it. (OR you could just send it to me? :D)